Our Customer Commitment
Kingston is a diverse community with an estimated resident population of nearly 160,000 spanning a wide range of ages, household types and cultures.
As a Council we exist to serve our community, so providing exceptional customer service must underpin all we do.
In 2017, Kingston Council invited residents and businesses to help develop a new standard for customer service at Kingston Council. The 30 plus-member Community Panel meet on several occasions to better understand what Council do, share ideas and ultimately make recommendations.
Below are the service standards developed by the community.
To deliver great customer service, our Councillors, employees, contractors and volunteers promise to:
• Be friendly and courteous
• Be knowledgeable: we will be experts in our field. Should your request fall outside council’s responsibility, we will pass your request on to the relevant agency.
• Understand your needs: we’ll take the time to listen and understand your issues. We will take action or refer you to the best person to help you.
• Provide timely and accurate information: we will provide accurate responses within a specified timeframe.
• Explain the process: we will tell you what action we will take, how we will act and when it will be done.
• Provide multiple contact channels: there will be a range of channels for you to contact us in a time and way that suits you.
• Be consistent: we will deliver a consistent service across all departments and every contact channel.
• Be accountable: your issue will be owned by a staff member and seen through from start to finish.
• Close the loop: we will let you know the outcome of your enquiry and how a decision was reached.
How you can help us
As a customer of Council, you can help us by:
• being clear about your requirements so we can direct you to a staff member with the relevant experience
• treating our staff with courtesy and respect
• providing your current contact details and advising us if they change
• providing us with feedback
Our service standards
• We aim to answer your calls within 20 seconds
• We will return phone calls within one working day
• We will respond to all enquiries received via email, mail, online within 10 working days of receipt
Our complaint resolution process
We do our best to resolve complaints within 10 working days. If we cannot resolve your complaint within 10 working days, you will be kept informed of our progress.
All customer complaints can be provided to Council via any of the following channels:
Phone: 1300 653 356 (Mon to Fri 8am – 5:30pm) An emergency-only after hours service is also available on this number
Letter: PO Box 1000, Mentone VIC 3194
Face to face: 1230 Nepean Highway Cheltenham (Mon to Fri 8:30am – 5pm) 1 Chelsea Road Chelsea (Mon to Fri 8:30am – 2pm)
We have a wide range of applications and payment types available online so that you can transact with us at a time convenient to you. Check out our home page for the links
Our community engagement commitment
Engagement with our community is at the core of Kingston’s philosophy of Community Inspired Leadership.
We make every effort to be inclusive and provide opportunities for meaningful community engagement.
This understanding is achieved through:
• providing clear, relevant and timely information
• engaging our community on issues that affect them
• offering alternative contacts or resources where an issue is not within our control
• providing explanations for our decisions and how community feedback influenced the decision
We love feedback
Let us know how we can improve your experience, we'd love to hear from you