Our local laws allow the use of backyard fire pits in Kingston.
If you enjoy a fire pit in your backyard, please consider fire safety and minimise any impacts on your neighbours who may have sensitivity to smoke.
If using a backyard fire pit, precautions to keep in mind include:
- Fires may only be lit in a barbecue, pizza oven or manufactured fireplace (such as a brazier, chimenea or fire pit).
- A fire must never be left unattended.
- Make sure that everyone is safe around the fire.
- Do not let the fire spread beyond the fireplace.
- Do not burn dangerous or hazardous material, for example painted timbers, plastic, chemicals, waste.
- If an Authorised Officer directs you to extinguish your backyard fire then you must put it out immediately.