Food waste recycling

Kingston residents can now recycle their food scraps by adding them to their green household bin, along with their garden waste.

Food scraps include:

  • meat
  • fish
  • bones
  • cooked foods
  • dairy products.

We divert food and garden waste from landfill and turn it into high-quality compost to use in our parks, gardens and given to farmers to grow crops.   

How to recycle your food waste

View our video to learn more about how to use your caddy, and what can and can't go into your green bin.

Frequently Asked Questions 

Food recycling

What is food recycling?

Food recycling involves turning food scraps into compost. You can now put your food scraps in your household green bin along with your green waste. The food and green waste will then be sent to a facility in Dandenong South where it is turned into compost. 

Why should I recycle food waste?

Food waste makes up about 50% of Kingston’s household waste sent to landfill. By placing your food waste into your green bin, you will be doing your bit to help the environment and contribute to the creation of nutrient rich compost that can be used by Victorian farmers to grow crops.

Benefits of food waste recycling

What can I put into my caddy or food and garden waste bin?

See a list of what you can put in your bins, including your food and garden waste bin.

What happens to my food and garden waste after it is collected?

Food and garden waste is turned into compost at a commercial facility in Dandenong South. It is then used on farms, parks, and gardens to improve soil.


Bins and collections

When will my bin be collected?

Your green bin will be collected every fortnight as per your normal collection schedule

Will my food and green waste bin attract pests?

If you place your food waste in the green bin with the lid closed, it should not attract pests.

How do I order a green household bin?

You can order a green bin by filling out the below form.

Order a green bin

Can businesses have their food waste collected?

No, at this stage our food recycling service will not cater for commercial quantities of food waste. 

Is Council going to introduce a smaller green bin than the current size (120litres)?

No, however for unit block residents a shared green bin may be suitable.

If I live in an apartment, can I use my green bin for food scraps?

Yes, if your apartment block uses Council’s garbage collection service. We can’t offer the service if a private contractor collects your rubbish. 

To check if your service is a Council service or private contractor please contact your building management.



A kitchen caddy is a small container used to temporarily store food waste within the home.

Do I have to use a food waste caddy?

A kitchen caddy makes it easier to collect scraps as you prepare food. You can use your own container if you prefer, such as an ice cream or yoghurt container, or simply throw your food scraps directly into your green waste bin.  

Can I order a green bin at any time and get my caddy?

Yes. You can order a green bin using the order a green bin form and receive a caddy along with your bin.

To order a separate caddy, please call customer service on 1300 653 356 or email us at


Can I get more than one caddy?



Bin liners

Council recommends the use of compostable bin liners which are made of organic matter and break down into compostable material.

Where can I get more bin liners from?

Compostable bag liners can be picked up from Council's Cheltenham Customer Service Centre or purchased from most supermarkets. If you want to purchase your own, please only use bags with the seedling logo, which is an international certification and symbol that identifies certified compostable degradable plastics.      

Can I put my food waste in a plastic bag?

No. Only compostable liners that carry the seedling logo can be used in your caddy.

Can I wrap my food waste?

You can use compostable bin liners provided with your caddy to hold your food scraps. You can also wrap your food waste in a sheet of newspaper, tissue, or paper towel.  

Do I have to use the bin liners?

No, use of the bin liners is optional. You can put your food scraps directly into the caddy or green bin. 

Alternatively, you can wrap your food waste in a sheet of newspaper, tissue, or paper towel.



What if I already have a compost at home?

We encourage you to continue with your own composting. However, our commercial facility accepts animal bones, meat,  citrus peel, and dairy, which aren't recommend for most home composting.