The Kingston planning scheme sets out policies and provisions for the use, development and protection of land within Kingston. It includes State Government provisions, local policies specific to Kingston and a strategic vision for the future of Kingston.
View the Kingston Planning Scheme on the Planning Schemes Online website.
The Kingston planning scheme is a legal document containing policies and provisions that control how people can use and develop land.
Kingston’s planning scheme consists of:
- maps showing how zones and overlays affect land
- ordinances setting out the written requirements
- incorporated documents
- the conditions and requirements of the Planning Scheme apply to all including individuals, businesses, government departments and councils.
We amend the Kingston planning scheme on a regular basis and in accordance with the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
A planning scheme amendment may involve:
- changes to land zones and overlays
- updates or corrections
- new policy or development controls
- change to the ordinance
- in some cases more than one of the above.
Who can apply?
Anyone can ask a planning authority to prepare an amendment. An applicant must be able to justify to the Planning Authority as to why an amendment should be prepared.
The Council can prepare amendments to the planning scheme to include new plans, strategies or policies that relate to the use, development or protection of land.
- Council approves amendment
- Authorisation from Minister for Planning
- Prepare planning scheme amendment
- Exhibit planning scheme amendment
- Council adopts planning scheme amendment
- Approval from minister - Gazetted
View all previous amendments on Planning Schemes Online
||Rezones land at 19 Tarella Road, Chelsea to Public Park and Recreation Zone to create new public open space
||Approved June 10 2021
||See amendment C198king on Planning Schemes Online
||Applies a Public Acquisition Overlay over 251-253 Charman Road, Cheltenham. This reserves land to create future open space next to the Cheltenham Station.
||Approved July 22 2021
||See amendment C190king on Planning Schemes Online
||Changes the planning controls that apply to this land to allow for residential development.
||Approved April 18 2019
||See amendment C159 on Planning Schemes Online
||Proposed to rezone the land to allow for residential development
||Abandoned October 17 2018
||See amendment C151 on Planning Schemes Online
|Hawthorn Football Club Amendment C180king
||Amends the Planning Scheme to allow for the development of the Hawthorn Football Club's new headquarters and training facility
||Approved July 22 2021
||See amendment C180king on Planning Schemes Online