The Victorian Freedom of Information Act 1982 gives you the right to request access to information held by State and Local government agencies. The Act allows you to access documents held about you, including those concerning your personal affairs. You can request that agencies amend or remove incorrect or misleading personal information.
You can ask for access to any document held by Kingston City Council, but some are exempt under the Act. The more common exemptions relevant to Local Government are Documents:
- affecting personal privacy (such as names, addresses, phone numbers) - section 33(1)
- relating to trade secrets (putting a commercial business at an unreasonable disadvantage) – section 34(1)
- of copyright status like plans (building, planning), drawings, photos – section 23(3)(c)
- affecting legal proceedings (legal advice or opinions) – section 32(1)
- prepared for and used at a meeting closed to the public (such as minutes, reports) – section 38A
How to Make an FOI Request
All requests must be made in writing by mail, email or fax and be accompanied by an application fee of $28.40. Your request must clearly describe the document(s) being sought and include your name, address, contact number(s) and in what type of documents you require (e.g. copy or inspection). Or you can make a request using the form above. If seeking immunisation records please complete separate Request for Immunisation Records form available above.
If your request relates to the correction or amendment of your own personal information held by us, you need to specify how and why you believe the information about you is incorrect, incomplete, misleading or out of date and detail the amendments you wish to make.
* Application fees may be waived in certain circumstances (e.g. for applicants who hold a current health care or pension card – a copy of the card must be submitted with your request). The application fee increases each year on 1st July.
All requests should be addressed to:
Freedom of Information Officer
City of Kingston
Level 1, 1230 Nepean Highway
Cheltenham VIC 3192
Application fee $28.40
Search time $21.30
Supervision fee $5.20 (each 15 mins)
No charges apply to requests for the correction or amendment of your own personal information. If charges are likely to exceed $50 you'll be notified. A deposit of $25 may be required if you want to proceed with the request.
Under the Act, we have 45 days from receiving a valid request to make a decision on whether to release the document(s) and 30 days to make a decision relating to the correction or amendment of your own personal information. You will be notified of our decision in writing.
Appeal and Review
When you receive a decision about your request you’ll be advised of your rights to seek a review of Council’s decision by the Victorian Freedom of Information Commissioner.
The Council’s Freedom of Information Officer is available on 1300 653 356 to handle enquiries and assist applicants in making a valid request.