Vehicle crossing and road opening permits

A Vehicle Crossing Permit (VCP) is required for all new crossings, repairs or changes to existing crossings. A Road Opening Permit (ROP) is required for any digging or excavation within the road reserve which includes the nature strip, footpath, road, kerb and channel. The fee is $148 for each permit.

If both reinstatement works are required, only one (1) permit needs to be applied for. The permit protects you as it is an authority to perform work in the road reserve and ensures work is completed to Council standards. Once approved and paid, your permit is active and valid for 12 months.

All formwork for concrete reinstatement works must be inspected by a Council Field Officer pre-pour. Call 1300 653 356 to request a pre-pour inspection allowing one (1) business days' notice, subject to availability. Book earlier to secure your preferred day and time.

Vehicle crossing permit

A vehicle crossing is the strip of your driveway that crosses the footpath and nature strip allowing vehicles to enter and exit your property. The property owner is responsible for the construction, maintenance and cost of a vehicle crossing.

A VCP is required when you:

  • construct a new vehicle crossing
  • alter an existing vehicle crossing
  • repair / replace a vehicle crossing
  • relocate / remove a redundant vehicle crossing (including reinstatement of kerb and channel).

Only one (1) vehicle crossing is permitted per property. A second crossing may be permitted under exceptional circumstances by emailing and providing information regarding the circumstance.

Where a vehicle crossing is being moved to a new location, the old vehicle crossing must be removed, and the kerb and channel reinstated.

Concreters must arrange a pre-pour inspection on 1300 653 356.

Before applying, read the Vehicle Crossing Information Pack(PDF, 2MB).

Apply for a vehicle crossing permit

Road opening permit

A ROP is required for digging or excavation within the road reserve which includes the nature strip, footpath, kerb, channel and road.  Work that typically requires a ROP:

  • footpath construction or repair
  • utility service connection, maintenance or repair
  • excavations
  • trenching
  • horizontal and vertical bores.

Concreters must arrange a pre-pour inspection on 1300 653 356.

Apply for a road opening permit

Standard drawings