Running a business from home

Home business.jpg

Are you thinking about starting a small business from your home? Check out our BizWiz service to find out what you need to consider, including:

  • planning requirements
  • building permits
  • health and beauty permits 
  • food business registrations and permits
  • signage permits

Frequently asked questions

Will I need a planning permit for my home business?

Some home-based businesses may not require a planning permit.

Speak to our friendly Planning Duty Officer on 9581 4131 to discuss the planning requirements, including:

  • hours of operation
  • net operating floor area
  • number of people working in at any given time
  • customers attending and/or picking up goods from the premises
  • number of commercial vehicles associated with the business
  • selling goods online
  • the person conducting the home based business must use the home as their principal place of residence

You can read detailed information about our planning requirements for home based businesses in the City of Kingston Planning Scheme (section 52.11).

Will I need a health or food registration for my home business?

If your business involves food, health or accommodation-related services, registration with Council is mandatory.

Our BizWiz service can offer guidance to help you meet the requirements.

Will I need a building permit for my home business?

If you plan to carry out internal renovations or external structural building works for your home-based business, a building permit is required. 

Contact our Building Duty Officer on 9581 4131 for advice.

Need more help?

Contact our BizWiz team on 1300 653 356 or

Other services for business owners

We can connect you with a range of support services including workshops, events, mentoring and advice that will help your business to grow and succeed.