Outdoor dining

Footpath trading

Footpath trading refers to using part of the footpath directly in front of your business for activities such as:

  • outdoor dining
  • selling products
  • displaying signage.

How do I apply?

Complete the footpath activities permit application and provide:

  • a site plan of the footpath area
  • a certificate of currency for at least $20m public liability cover
  • a form of indemnity

If you already have a permit, you may use the footpath for outdoor trading. No further action is needed.

To renew your existing permit, complete the footpath activities renewal form.

What are the fees?

Fees for the 2023/24 permit period:

A Frame/Tear Drop Sign                           $220 
Display Goods $434
Display Goods and Sign $500
Tables and Chairs (Up to 8 chairs) $434 
Each Additional Chair $86


Expanded footpath trading

Expanded Footpath Trading refers to expanding your footpath trading zone to the footpath in front of an adjacent business.

How do I apply?

Fill out the expanded footpath trading application form and provide:

What are the fees?

There are no additional fees for the expanded footpath trading permit.

Parklet program (adjacent kerbside car park trading)

A parklet allows hospitality businesses to extend their outdoor dining to car park spaces. If you have car park spaces directly adjacent to your business, you may be eligible for a parklet.

Applications for parklets starting from November 2024 will open shortly. Register your interest now by contacting the Business team on 1300 653 356 or at business@kingston.vic.gov.au. Don't miss out!

To learn more about the program, view the Parklet Policy(PDF, 210KB) and Parklet Guidelines(PDF, 6MB).


Frequently asked questions

Can I serve alcohol in my footpath zone or parklet?

You will need to contact Liquor Control Victoria if you are intending to use the footpath zone or parklet area to serve liquor.

How long will it take to process my application?

We aim to fast track all applications. Footpath Trading and Expanded Footpath Trading applications are best placed for quick approval. Applications for Parklets may take longer. Prior to applying for a Parklet Permit, please review the eligibility criteria outlined in the Parklet Guidelines(PDF, 6MB).