Land Tax

What is land tax and when does it apply?

The State Revenue Office (SRO) charge land tax if the total taxable value of all the Victorian land you own, individually or jointly, as at 31 December, is equal to or exceeds $250,000 ($300,000 from the 2022 land tax year) or $25,000 for trusts.

Which value on my notice is used for land tax?

Council valuations are also used by the State Revenue Office (SRO) for the purpose of Land Tax. The State Revenue Office uses the "Site Value" in assessing land tax.

How do I object to a Land Tax Assessment?

You will need to lodge your objection for Land Tax with the SRO and not Council. Please note:

  • Land Tax assessments can only be lodged via the SRO and not via Council.
  • Although the SRO use the Site Value on the Council Rates and Valuation notice, the SRO are the taxing authority for the tax assessment you have received, not Council.
  • The SRO will forward the objection to council for referral to the Contract Valuers who Value properties and will assist you with your objection.

More information

For further information on lodging a land valuation objection, or if you require a hard copy Land Valuation Objection form, please contact;

SRO Customer Contact Centre - 13 21 61

Further information for land tax can be found on the SRO website.