Skip to Main Content

Managing Stormwater

Kingston Council has a Local Law (124. Management of Stormwater) to protect stormwater from pollution through building, landscaping or related activities. If you manage a building, landscaping or construction site, you're responsible for complying with Council's Community Local Law. Failure to comply can result in on the spot penalties of up to $1000. 

If you see pollution entering stormwater drains on a building or landscaping site, call City of Kingston Local Laws on 1300 653 356. 

For more information on options of paying a cash contribution in-lieu of providing site stormwater quality treatments, please refer to 

What is Stormwater? 

Stormwater is rainwater runoff from rooftops, paths and roads collected by a system of pipes and drains. These flow directly to creeks and the bay without treatment.

Building, landscaping and industrial activities contribute to the heavy pollutants found in the stormwater system. These pollutants affect the water quality, kill aquatic life and degrade our beaches.

Everyone has an obligation to protect our waterways. This means preventing soil, grass clippings, chemicals and litter from washing into streets and gutters.

Stormwater for Developers

Engineering assessments play an important role in town planning applications. Issues relating to storm water drainage, flooding, roads, traffic, parking, lighting and other Council infrastructure are assessed.

This process ensures all developments and subdivisions can be provided with the appropriate services so they do not overload, or cause problems to the infrastructure in place.

New residential estates are also assessed to ensure they meet current Australian Standards, Rescode and Council policies to ensure the best designs and construction methods are used.

Council now offers those developing properties with 3 or more dwellings, all commercial and industrial developments with the option of paying a cash contribution in-lieu of providing on site stormwater quality treatments.  

More information in relation to stormwater requirements for Developers can be found here.  

Further information including forms, policies and guidelines can be found by clicking here.

Sediment Control

Sediment leaving a site not only pollutes waterways, but can be a danger to pedestrians and cyclists.

Installing sediment fences along the low side of a site before commencing any building work can reduce stormwater pollution.  The fence traps the sediment while allowing water to leave the site.  It can consist of timber or steel posts and rails, with a manufactured geotextile filter fabric between the rails and posts.

It is important to check sediment fences and any other control methods regularly, especially after storm events, as they may stop trapping sediments if they can become dislodged or sag.

Other methods of sediment control can include:

  • diverting water around the work site and stabilising channels and ensuring that the diversion path does not flood or cause a nuisance to adjoining property
  • stockpiling topsoil within the sediment controlled zone
  • retaining a vegetated border on the site that can filter low levels of sediments in runoff
  • ensuring that all trenches have been compacted and filled in immediately after services have been laid
  • ensuring there are adequate site waste receptacles such as mini skips, bins, dust control measures and wind proof receptors
  • sweeping the road, laneway and footpath whenever materials have left the site and on a daily basis and placing all soil and other building materials in waste receptors - never sweep or hose sediments down stormwater drains
  • installing temporary side-entry sediment/litter trap (similar to silt pits)
  • installing the drainage system before construction activities commence.

View the Sediment_Factsheet

Storing Material on Nature Strips

A Road Occupation & Works Permit is required if you wish to store materials on the naturestrip or occupy the naturestrip / footpath for any construction activities.  Penalties apply to the storage of material on a nature strip without a permit.

Related documents:

Temporary Discharge Permit

Council does not permit the discharge of any surface water or groundwater to Council's stormwater system during construction.  Should surface water need to be pumped from the site (i.e. from basement excavations) during construction, the builder needs to apply for a Temporary Discharge Permit from Council's Infrastructure department.  A permit may not be granted for all cases.

Alternative options include discharging to the sewer with consent from the relevant water authority, or removing water from the site via a disposal truck.
For further information visit

Related documents:

Stormwater Connection

All trenches or excavations within the road surface require a Road Opening Permit. This includes water connection, stormwater pit connection, stormwater repair.  The permit can be obtained from any of Council's Customer Care Centres.

This permit allows a builder to physically connect to a Council drain, pit or kerb and channel and requires an inspection by a Council Asset Officer to ensure the asset is not damaged during the connection and that the connection is in accordance with Council's standards.
For further information visit

Related documents:

Elster Creek Catchment

The Elster Creek catchment is about 40 square kilometres in size and drains to Port Phillip Bay at Elwood, within the City of Port Phillip, and collects run-off from most of the City of Glen Eira, and parts of the City of Bayside and City of Kingston.

Since 2017, Melbourne Water and the aforementioned Councils have been working together to support a whole-of-catchment approach to managing flooding in the Elster Creek Catchment. The partners are committed to cooperating across municipal boundaries and working with water utility companies, the Victorian Government and the community to respond to the risk of flooding in the catchment.

More details about this project can be found on the Melbourne Water website.