Skip to Main Content

Commercial / Industrial

There are a range of permit requirements for Commercial and Industrial use of land, and/or associated buildings and works. A Planning Permit may or may not be required depending on the zoning of the land, any overlay controls affecting the land, and any specific requirements of the Kingston Planning Scheme.

To determine the zone of your land or if your land is affected by any overlay controls, please contact Council's City Development on 9581 4131 or alternatively you can apply online to obtain a Property Report from the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP).

Below are some common questions in relation to Commercial and Industrial Planning Requirements:

Do I require a Planning Permit for Signage?

In order to determine if a Planning Permit is required for advertising signage, please refer to our Advertising Signage Page.


Do I need a Planning Permit for Internal Works to My Factory?

You may need a Planning Permit for internal buildings and works if the floor area is to be increased, for example, a mezzanine floor.  This may be triggered by additional car parking requirements under Clause 52.06 (Car Parking)  of the Kingston Planning Scheme.

Alternatively, please contact Council's City Development Team on 9581 4131 to determine if a Planning Permit is required.


Do I need a Planning Permit to open a Cafe or Restaurant?

You may require a Planning Permit to open a Cafe or Restaurant. Even if the use of the site is allowed in the zone, any building and works, advertising signage or car parking requirement associated with the cafe or restaurant may require a Planning Permit. 

Contact Council's City Development Department on 9581 4131 for further information.


Do I need a Planning Permit to operate a business from home?

Home Occupation Guidelines (Running  a Business from home) are set out at Clause 52.11of the Kingston Planning Scheme.  Provided you meet the requirement set out in this Clause of the Planning Scheme, a Planning Permit is not required. For more about running a business from home, see our Home Occupation information.

For more information contact Council's City Development Team on 9581 4131 or visit us at Level 1, 1230 Nepean Highway, Cheltenham between the hours of 8.30am and 5.30pm.


New Planning Requirements (2015)

From 1 July 2015 a new levy under the Planning and Environment Act 1987 (Act) must be paid to the State Revenue Office (SRO) in respect of all planning permit applications for developments in metropolitan Melbourne (as defined in section 3 of the Act, which includes amongst other municipalities Kingston City Council) that have an estimated development cost of over $1 million (adjusted annually by CPI).

The levy is calculated at $1.30 for every $1,000 of the estimated cost of the development.

This payment is in addition to the statutory planning application fees.

For more information on this levy, see our page Metropolitan Planning Levy.

Was this page useful?

Please enter the code from the image to continue: *