Skip to Main Content

Advertising Signs

About Advertising Signs

Clause 52.05 (Advertising Signage) of the Kingston Planning Scheme has been implemented to:

  • Regulate the display of signs and associated structures
  • Provide for signs that are compatible with the amenity and visual appearance of an area, including the existing or desired future character;
  • To ensure signs do not contribute to excessive visual clutter or visual disorder; and
  • To ensure that signs do not cause loss of amenity or adversely affect the natural or built environment or the safety, appearance or efficiency of a road.

Do I need a Planning Permit for my signs?

Requirements for advertising signage depend on the zoning, location and size of your proposed signs. It always best to check with Council to determine if a Planning Permit is required for Advertising Signage on your site. Council's Planning Department can be contacted Monday to Friday 8:30am to 5:00pm on 9581 4131 or you can visit at 1230 Nepean Highway, Cheltenham.

Alternatively, in order to determine if a Planning Permit is required for advertising signage, you need to take the following steps:


What do I need to include with my application for advertising signs?

In order to process your application efficiently, the following information is required for any application for advertising signage:

  • Completed Application Form;
  • Payment of the relevant application fee (For further detail, please refer Council's Planning Application Fee Schedule
  • Certificate of Title (Produced within the last 90 days). A copy of the title can be obtained by contacting land Victoria on 8636 2456 or you can order your certificate of title on-line at Land Data. Alternatively, you can obtain a copy of your title through Council's City Development department for a nominated fee. 

Plans at a sale of 1:100 or 1:200, and showing as appropriate:

  • The exact location of all existing and proposed signage;
  • Exact dimensions of the proposed signage , including the height, width and depth of the signage;
  • Front, side and rear elevations of the signage (or location on a building if applicable) including exact height, dimensions and the distance above natural ground level;
  • Written submission detailing how your application meets Councils Outdoor Advertising Signage Policy and Clause 52.05 (Advertising Signs) of the Kingston Planning Scheme.

In some cases you may also be required to provide:

  • The extent of the projection of the signage clearance above the footpath and of the laneway surface and distance to the face of the kerb;
  • Plans depicting the advertisement message(s) and the proposed colours and building materials; and
  • Details of the illumination, floodlighting or animation (if applicable)

Was this page useful?

Please enter the code from the image to continue: *