There are occasions when you may need to provide Council with personal information, such as where you live, your contact details, or your date of birth, so that we can assist you with an enquiry or complete a task. The information we collect is used only for the purpose it is intended. Council may share information with third parties if this is required in order to complete the task, or if required or as permitted by legislation.
Privacy is a basic human right. All Victorian government agencies including Councils must comply with privacy laws. These laws govern the handling of personal and health information. There are three privacy laws applicable in Victoria:
- Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (applies to State Government and Local Government)
- Health Records Act 2001 (applies to State Government, Local Government and private enterprise)
- Privacy Act 1988 (applies to Commonwealth agencies and private enterprise)
The Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 defines 10 Privacy Principles (IPPs). These Privacy Principles set the standard for public sector agencies to manage information appropriately.
Information covered by privacy laws:
- Personal Information such as names, addresses, phone numbers
- Sensitive Information including racial or ethnic origin, religious beliefs, criminal records, political views, sexual preferences, membership of groups such as unions, political parties
- Health Information including medical records and assessments (children, youth, elderly), health care (aged and disability), palliative care (physical and intellectual), family day care, child care, immunisation
Protecting your personal information
The City of Kingston only collects your personal information for the purpose of delivering Council services, or if required by law. Individuals can access their own personal information (including health information). We have formal processes and safeguards to ensure your personal information is protected at all times. These include:
- A dedicated Privacy Officer
- A Privacy Committee
- Cyber Crime and Information Security Policy
- We are regulated by the Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner (OVIC) and Health Complaints Commissioner
Requests for property owners' details: Forms
Owner contact details can only be disclosed in limited circumstances, where permitted by legislation or where the owner has consented to the release of their personal information. Where such disclosure is permitted Council has a range of forms which must be completed, signed and returned to Council for processing. Ownership detail request forms are available for:
Requests for documents
If you are interested in viewing or obtaining copies of documents held by Council, you may need to apply under the Victorian Freedom of Information Act 1982. Click here for more information about this process.
If you have a complaint or wish to discuss a privacy related matter, please contact our Privacy Officer on 1300 653 356.
If you believe Council has breached your privacy, please forward a written complaint to the Privacy Officer as follows:
Mail: City of Kingston, PO Box 1000, Mentone 3194