Asset protection permits

An Asset Protection Permit (APP) ensures that public assets and infrastructure are kept safe during demolition, construction (including extensions), pool installation, front fence construction and landscaping works. It requires any damages incurred during these works to be repaired at the completion of the work.  Public assets include:

  • roads
  • footpaths
  • shared paths
  • vehicle crossings
  • nature strips
  • kerb and channel
  • stormwater drains
  • trees
  • street lights
  • street signage

You should take photos and record details of existing damage to all the public assets around the work site and the adjacent area to submit with your application. If there is no record, it is presumed there is no existing damage to Council assets prior to the work commencing.

Some minor works may be exempt. Exemptions must be requested in writing by emailing or speak to the Asset Protection Officer on 1300 653 356.

Apply for an asset protection permit


Step 1.Take photos

Take photos of all the public assets around your work site.  

Step 2.Calculate your fee

The APP fee is $295.  You also need to pay a refundable Security Bond.

The amount we require for Security Bonds are calculated based on the estimated cost of the project:

Projects valued under $100,000

$1,000 bond

Projects valued between $100,000 - $1,000,000

$2,000 bond

Projects valued between $1,000,001 - $5,000,000

$5,000 bond

Projects valued over $5,000,001

$10,000−$20,000 bond

In cases where a property needs to be accessed through a Council park or reserve, we require an additional Security Bond payment of $1,500 and Council pre-approval.

Step 3.Apply online

Complete the online application, attach the photos, pay the security bond and fee.

Apply for an asset protection permit

Step 4.Receive your permit

You will be emailed a permit and the terms and conditions within 5 business days. 

An Asset Protection Permit is valid for 12 months from the date of issue. You can apply to have the permit extended before it expires.

Step 5.Find out if you need any other permits

Look at the following pages to confirm if any other permits are required for your works:

Step 6.Get a security bond refund

Before you apply for a Security Bond Refund, make sure you are ready by completing our checklist below.  Once you have applied, a Council Officer will inspect the site and approve the refund application.

The APP includes two (2) Security Bond Refund site inspections. If more inspections are required, you will be charged for every additional visit.

Refund checklist

To help you to get a full refund on your Security Bond when you request a final inspection, we recommend you complete this checklist:

  • Complete all landscaping and the construction of a front fence (if applicable)
  • Remove all stones, rubble, concrete, building materials and temporary fencing from nature strips and footpaths
  • Replace any nature strips damaged during works; and make sure that any seeded top-soil is level with footpaths and/or kerbs
  • Make sure offset areas (the space between footpaths and the property line) is filled and level with the footpath
  • If any Council assets, including stormwater pit lids, roads, footpaths, kerbs, channels, or vehicle crossings are damaged during building works, they must be repaired to Council’s specifications before requesting a final inspection.

Apply for a security bond refund

To extend a current APP, there is a fee of 50% of the permit fee. No additional Security Bond payments will be required, as we will retain the original bond until its release is approved at the final site inspection.

Apply for an extension

Damaged Council assets must be reinstated to Kingston standards. You can download our construction standards from these links:

A permit is required for stormwater connection, vehicle crossing and footpath repair and/or reinstatement.

If concrete reinstatement works are required, a Council Officer must be called to inspect the site pre-pour.  Please arrange this by calling 1300 653 356.

If we find any damage to Council’s public assets on our inspection, you will be asked to repair the damage within 30 days. If an incident were to occur due to the damage, you may be liable for costs.