Before you apply for a planning permit

The first question you must ask is - do I need a planning permit?

Each property or subject site has a different set of planning rules and regulations. These rules will specify when a planning permit is required.

In some circumstances overlays are applied to the land which add additional restrictions to some areas. For example, the flooding overlay was created to protect future development from floods.

It is important to find out exactly what planning controls apply to your property.

To find out what controls apply to your property you can use:

If you are looking to start a new business or expand/relocate an existing small business you may need additional permits. See Starting or growing a business for more information.

Pre-planning advice

Getting pre-planning advice can help your application progress more smoothly.

Benefits include:

  • resolving issues up front, rather than during an application process
  • increased certainty about the outcome of an application
  • fewer requests for design amendments and further information
  • less negotiation during the permit process
  • quicker processing times
  • better design quality
  • reduced risk of your application being refused. 

Pre-application advice is a preliminary assessment only, and it may not be possible to identify all areas of concern. The fee for this service is $150.

Apply for pre-application advice

Verbal advice

Our qualified planning officer is available between 8:30am and 5:00pm Monday to Friday to discuss your plans. We will provide you with basic verbal advice on your proposal.

To speak to planning officer please either:

Written advice

We can provide written advice from a qualified planning officer. You must include the following information with your application:

  • Sketch or concept plans of the proposal
  • Certificate of Title including plans, covenant details or S173 Agreements (if applicable).
  • Neighbourhood, Site Description Plan
  • Site or survey plan of the subject property;
  • Other relevant documents (e.g., Arborist report, site photographs, shadow diagrams)

The more detail provided with the application the better feedback we can give you. We will contact you if there are any issues with your documented or if we need more information.

Apply and pay for written advice

Get copies of existing permits

See our page for details of how to get copies of exiting permits.

Affordable housing contributions

If you are a resident or developer, chat to a planning officer before you submit your planning application to learn more about how you can contribute to affordable housing in Kingston.

Homes for Homes is a non-for-profit company that seeks to deliver social and affordable housing through tax-deductable donations. The initiative is an innovative new funding model that will increase the supply of social and affordable housing within the Kingston municipality and around Victoria.