Do you need a Building Permit or a Report and Consent?

Type of fence Building permit required Report and consent required

Side or rear boundary fences that are all of the below:

  • less than 2.0m high
  • further than 3m away from the front allotment boundary
  • made of timber or steel             
No No
Side or rear boundary fencing taller than 2.0m high Yes Yes
Front fences under 1.2m* high No No
Front fence taller than 1.2m*  high Check planning zones that apply to your property Check planning zones that apply to your property
Fence on a corner block that is less than 1.0m high and within 9.0m of the intersection of both street alignments No No
Fence on a corner block that is taller than 1.0m high within 9.0m of the intersection of both street alignments Yes Yes
Chain mesh fence surrounding tennis court No No
Any fencing surrounding a pool or spa Yes Contact us


Please see our explanatory diagram(PDF, 86KB) for the above table.

You will need a report and consent if your fence is not within the scope of part 5 of the building regulations.

Check a current copy of the certificate of title for covenants, caveats and section 173 agreements as there may be restrictions regarding allowable fence heights for your property.

To apply for a building permit you will need to engage the services of a registered private building surveyor.

Do I need a planning permit?

In most cases you won’t require a Planning Permit if your site is more than 300m2, and there are no other restrictions or overlays on the land.

You need a planning permit to construct or extend a fence that is within three metres of a street if:

  • if there is one dwelling (house) on the lot, and the lot is less than 300m2 in area
  • if there are two (2) or more dwellings (houses) on the lot, or there is a residential building on the lot.

Fences shared with us

We will contribute towards the cost of a standard fence except for the following:

  • land not in direct council ownership or under council management
  • crown land and foreshore reservations
  • road reservations
  • right of ways, laneways, discontinued roads, walkways and other spaces
  • buffer to a road
  • drainage reservations
  • bicycle path
  • open space not owned by Council
  • gates, trellis, enhancement, painting, decorative and other features
  • pedestrian gates
  • pool fencing
  • repairs to a fence

Council's contribution must be confirmed prior to work commencing.

Apply for council contribution

Before you complete the application form you need to obtain two quotes from fencing contractors of your choice.

The quote must specify any costs that you are responsible for such as:

  • the extra cost if you would like a fence higher than 1.9 metres
  • the cost of a building permit if the fence is higher than 2 metres
  • gates
  • any surveying if needed

The quote must also:

  • be written out in your name and include your address
  • include a cost per metre including demolition & removal of boundary fence (this is not to include lattice work, shade cloth, trees/shrubs etc).
  • include a sketch indicating the boundary
  • breakdown cost between owners. 

Apply to share fencing cost with council

Fences shared with neighbours

A shared fence is a private matter between property owners. They share responsibilities and rights as well as the design and construction covered by the Fencing Amendment Act (not the Council). The cost of repairs and replacing a fence is usually shared too. However, this is where things can get tricky. Having a good relationship with your neighbour can help to avoid arguments and possible legal action.

If you and your neighbour can’t agree, you can get free advice on fencing issues at the Disputes Settlement Centre Victoria. They can assist with neighbourly disputes and can arrange free mediation sessions, provide information about fencing notices and how to get court orders to recover fencing costs.

Get contact details for a neighbouring property

Complete our online form for fencing notices or to have an adjoining fence repaired or replaced (Fences Act 1968).

We work to 10 business days to respond to privacy requests, with most requests being actioned within two to three days.

Get your neighbour's contact details