Moorabbin Oval dates back to 1951 when it was created to allow the Moorabbin Football club admittance into the VFA for the following season. The ground was then regarded one of the best in the league for facilities and one of the largest in Melbourne.
When the Moorabbin club weren't considered for the VFL, tenants were sought from existing teams, with St Kilda moving their training, playing and administrative home base to the oval in 1964 on a 75 year lease, with the council funding refurbishing the ground to VFL standards. St Kilda played their first premiership game at the venue in Round 1 of 1965 drawing a crowd of 51,370, a ground record that was never beaten.
The Saints played at the ground from 1965 to 1992, winning a total of 274 games there. The Melbourne Reds baseball club used the oval from 1994 to 1999.
St Kilda returned to the ground as both a training and administrative centre from 2018 for their AFL team, and a home ground for their AFLW side. A two-stage redevelopment saw the building of the Danny Frawley centre, comprising a grand stand, a 25m lap pool, hydrotherapy pool and rehabilitation gym, as well as a multi-purpose movement space capable of delivering wellbeing programs to schools and community groups of up to 250 participants, dedicated mental health facilities with consulting suites for service providers, shared work areas for program development and research.
Community facilities around the oval in areas which have been reclaimed and improved by Council have been upgraded including;
- new walking paths to improve pedestrian access within the reserve and connection to surrounding streets
- upgraded surfaces on existing paths
- new junior playground at the existing Linton/Perry Street park
- new youth area/play space in the northern section of the reserve
- new double picnic shelter, barbecue and picnic tables
- new exercise station
- new lighting on the main path
- landscaping and tree planting
- storm water harvesting for re-use (funded through development contributions).
There is also a dog off leash park, outdoor gym equipment and the Moorabbin Bowling Club.
Linton Street, Moorabbin 3189 View Map