Skip to Main Content

Infringement Notices

What is an infringement?

Infringement notices, more commonly known as fines, are penalties for minor offences. Council has a statutory and community responsibility to enforce certain legislation within the municipality, which may result in an infringement being issued to an alleged offender for breaches against legislation.

If you receive an infringement notice, you have three options:

Option 1 - Pay the infringement notice in full

Option 2 - Write a letter of appeal to Council for an internal review

Option 3 - Elect to have the matter heard in court

Appealing an infringement notice


The Infringements Act 2006 allows you to make only one application for internal review. This means that you need to provide all of the relevant information and any supporting documentation to the City of Kingston when requesting a review.
 An application for internal review must be made in writing. The internal review process can take up to 90 days and you will receive a written response by mail to your postal address advising you of the outcome.
Whilst the review process is underway, the infringement will be placed on hold until an outcome has been decided. If insufficient information is provided, we may contact you for additional details before reviewing your infringement notice. If this information is not received by the specified date, a decision will be made based on the information at hand. Should the infringement be upheld, you will be advised of a new payment date.
Please note that pursuant to the Infringements Act 2006, it is an offence to provide false or misleading information. Council may take further legal action if Council has reason to believe this has occurred. To apply for an internal review please complete the Infringement Offence Review Application in 'Related Information'.


Payment must be made before the expiry date on the infringement notice or additional costs will be incurred.

If you have received a penalty reminder notice, payment (including additional cost) must be made before the expiry date on the penalty reminder notice or further legal action will be taken.

How and where can payment be made?

To pay your infringement by Visa or Mastercard visit

In person

Payments can be made by credit or debit card, cash or cheque at Council’s Customer Care Centre, 1230 Nepean Highway Cheltenham (Mon-Fri 8:30-5pm). 


Determination by a Court

The person named on the infringement notice may elect to have the matter heard and determined in a Court.

IGNORING your infringement can lead to court action or result in your fine being sent to the Director, Fines Victoria who has the power to suspend driving licences until the fine is paid.