Skip to Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about Kingston's waste and recycling service?  Scroll down this page to find answers to a range of frequently asked questions.
Do you have a question that's not on the list? Send us an email and we'll add it to the page.

You can find out your bin day by entering your property address in the What's Near Me?  search tool or by visiting the Bins and Collections page.

When are bins collected?

Garbage bins (red lid) are collected weekly.  Recycle (yellow lid) and garden waste (green lid) bins are collected on alternate weeks, on the same day as your garbage bin.

You can find out your bin day by entering your property address in the What's Near Me?  search tool or by visiting the Bins and Collections page.

My bin was missed?

Please phone Council on 1300 653 356 within one business day of your bin being missed so we can arrange another collection. You can also lodge a request online. Once reported, please leave your bin out on the kerb and do not remove it until it has been emptied. 

If it has been longer than one business day, you will need to wait until your next collection for your bin to be emptied.

What do I do if my bin is damaged or has been stolen?

To arrange a replacement bin (free of charge), please call Council on 1300 653 356 or lodge a request online.

What time should I put my bin out for collection?

Bins should be placed out on the kerb the night before your scheduled collection day.

Bins should not be placed on the nature strip before 4.00pm on the day prior to collection or after 5.30am on the day of collection. Bins are to be removed from the kerbside by no later than midnight on the scheduled collection day. If bins are not removed from the kerbside, fines may apply.

My collection day falls on a public holiday, will my bin still be collected?

Yes. There are no changes to bin collections on public holidays.

How do I request a new or different sized bin?

Phone Council on 1300 653 356 or click here and fill out the form located in 'Change my bin size'

What do I do if there is a sticker on my bin?

If there is a problem with your bin, collection staff may place a sticker on the bin explaining what the issue is. Once the issue has been fixed, please call Council on 1300 653 356 to arrange for your bin to be emptied.

What is the correct way to present my bin for collection?

• On the kerbside with Council's logo facing the road and the wheels facing your property
• With at least 30cm between each bin
• Clear of trees and parked cars
• If you live in a cul-de-sac/court bowl, please place your bins outside the truck turning zone

Do not overfill your bin or leave extra bags or boxes next to the bin as these will not be collected.

When can I get a waste collection calendar?

Calendars can be downloaded from the Bins and Collections page.

How do I report illegally dumped rubbish?

If you see anyone dumping rubbish and you know their identity or vehicle details, contact Council on 1300 653 356 who will arrange for an Officer to investigate your complaint.

I never have enough room in my recycling bin, what can I do?

Residents can request a second recycling bin from Council free of charge. For more details or to order a second bin, please contact Council on 1300 653 356. 

Why can’t I put my recycling in bags?

Your recycling is taken to a Material Recovery Facility (MRF) where the five different materials (steel, glass, paper and cardboard, aluminium and glass bottles and jars) are sorted and separated by hand sorters and machinery.  When recyclable materials are placed in to a bag they can't be separated into their material types and end up in landfill.  It is too dangerous and time consuming for hand sorters to open plastic bags.

Where can I report an abandoned shopping trolley?

You can report an abandoned shopping trolley, from the companies listed below, by going to the trolley tracker website or by placing a phone call to the trolley tracker hotline on 1800 641 497.

  • Woolworths
  • Big W
  • Safeway
  • Masters
  • Dan Murphy

Coles and their companies (listed below) use their own form, found here.

  • Coles
  • Kmart
  • Target
  • Bunnings
  • Officeworks