Skip to Main Content

Holding an event in Kingston


Important COVID-19 Update

To further protect community safety, all events and activities planned on Council land are cancelled until further notice and new applications for the use of Council land for events are not currently being accepted. 

Council will re-consider this position in line with any changes or further easing of restrictions issued by the State Government.

If you have an Event Notification Form currently in processing, a representative of the Events team will be in contact with you once the restrictions have been announced for your event date. 


Kingston is home to a range of fantastic parks, open spaces and community halls that are available for you to use and enjoy. We actively encourage local and community events to be held on land owned or managed by Council.

Our Top Spots Quick Guide and detailed Event Guide are designed to help you decide on an appropriate location and assist you with organising your event.



The Top Spots Quick Guide provides an overview of the reserves and open space available in Kingston that may be suitable for your event.

Organising an event

Formal approvals may be needed to hold your event on Council owned or managed land, depending on the size of the gathering and the equipment needed on-site, and some events may incur a cost. Please see below for further information.

Council has developed a detailed Event Guide to assist event organisers with:

  • the Event Notification process
  • minimising impact on the local environment
  • compliance with all relevant laws and regulations.
Notifying Council of your event

Depending on the type of event you plan to hold, you may need approval from Council or another relevant authority to hold your event on Council land in the City of Kingston.

You do need approval from Council through the Events Notification process if: 

  • your event is a wedding
  • you intend on using temporary structures such as marquees, bouncing castles etc.
  • your event is open to the wider public
  • your event is of a commercial sporting nature.

If you are unsure whether this applies to your event, please contact the Events Team on 9581 4916. 

You do not need approval from Council if:

  • you are planning on meeting family or friends in one of our reserves and using the existing facilities, barbeques or seating areas. We do not reserve or book facilities in parks - they are available for all members of the community to use.

To begin the process, you must complete an Event Notification Form - Forms are not being accepted until further notice

The Event Notification process is designed to help you conduct events safely, professionally and within the law and ensure that relevant approvals are granted. The Event Notification process does not offer or guarantee exclusive use of the area or reserve.

The form should be submitted to Council at least 30 days in advance of the planned event.

Types of Event Notifications

There are three types of Event Notifications:

  • Private Events
  • Public Events
  • Weddings.

Event organisers must ensure that the appropriate Event Notification Form is completed for the type of event planned:  

Private Events
For events, celebrations and functions planned for a selected group of invitees such as families, friends or colleagues.

If you are using equipment such as marquees or providing children’s activities such as jumping castles, you will need to fill in the Private Event Notification Form for Council to approve the use of the extra equipment and the use of the space. This process ensures that all park users have safe, equal access to our reserves.

Public Events
For events open to the wider public, such as community events, triathlons or small festivals.

If you would like to organise an event that is open to all members of the community, event organisers will need to complete a Public Event Notification Form. This will enable Council to approve the use of the reserve and to assist event organisers with relevant regulatory requirements. 

All commercial sporting events will attract a fee of $560 (including GST) per day, including event set up and pack down.

A permit is issued for all wedding ceremonies that take place on Council land.

If you wish to get married in a Council reserve or along the City of Kingston foreshore, a Wedding Event Notification Form must be completed. This form asks for information about preferred location and the date of the ceremony. In addition, all wedding ceremonies coordinated on Council land are required to have Public Liability Insurance which covers the ceremony. Proof of insurance must be supplied with the Wedding Event Notification Form.

All wedding notifications are added to an internal booking calendar – to assist event organisers with access to reserves. Following approval a permit will be issued, this permit does not offer or guarantee exclusive use of the area or reserve. A $300 licensing administration fee (including GST) will apply.

Commercial events longer than one day

Events that are of a commercial nature and running over more than more day should use the Commercial Event Notification Form. 

Further information

If you would like further information about running your community event, the Event Notification process or the ways Council can support your event, please contact the Events Team at or 9581 4916.