Working for the City of Kingston
Our employees represent our community, with approximately 42% of our employees both living in and choosing to work for the City of Kingston. This creates a sense of belonging as our employees have a strong connection to their community and the role they play within it.
Kingston employs over 1,450 people in a diverse range of positions including engineering, customer service, administration, finance, community and aged services, family, youth and children services, sport and recreation, health, parks and gardens, planning, arts and management.
Visit our Careers portal to view current vacancies or apply for a position at the City of Kingston.
As per the Chief Health Officer’s COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Directions (No 5) and subsequent COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination (Workers) Directions (No. 2), the City of Kingston will require vaccinations for:
- all authorised workers eligible to leave home for work; and
- all recruits who will ultimately be required to work in the office.
Community Inspired Leadership
Community Inspired Leadership describes the essence of our organisational culture and what working at Kingston means. The six key values underpinning Community Inspired Leadership are Future Orientated, Accountable, Dynamic, Expert, Community Centric and Celebrate and these values guide our behaviours. Community Inspired Leadership is our way of describing how we work and the way in which our work is focused on delivering exceptional service and benefit to the community. Our Values inform the skills, aptitudes and knowledge that are necessary to successfully perform our roles.
This Framework of Community Inspired Leadership is a strategic approach to developing employees which aligns with Council’s vision and facilitates achievement of key outcomes. The Values provide structure for performance planning and performance management as well as supporting effective recruitment and selection and informing the development of leadership and professional development programs.
Diversity and Inclusion
Kingston’s Diversity and Inclusion Program offers advocacy and education and a safe accessible space for all Kingston employees to be their true selves. To achieve a more diverse and inclusive workplace, Kingston Council employs a multifaceted, collaborative approach, drawing upon the skills, experiences and abilities of staff, as well as current research and best practice including:
- Hosting a range of internal events that acknowledge and celebrate key dates.
- Building staff capabilities through training opportunities, education and awareness campaigns.
- Ongoing analysis of Council Policies and procedures to ensure barriers, biases and potential discrimination are identified and amended.
- We recognise that flexible working arrangements benefit both employees and the organisation, in helping people balance work responsibilities with family and lifestyle needs.
- The City of Kingston is a Child Safe and Equal Opportunity employer committed to fairness, diversity and respect. As such, Council will give due consideration to any reasonable specific adjustments necessary to the workplace to accommodate a staff member with a disability.
Child Safe Standards
Kingston is proud to be a child-safe organisation and is committed to ensuring no children are harmed by staff, volunteers or work experience students – as required by the Victorian Government's Child Safe Standards.
Visit our Child Safe Standards policy for more information.
There are many benefits for staff at the City of Kingston. We have a range of employee benefits designed to promote work/life balance and make your time with us engaging, dynamic and enjoyable.
Work and Flexibility
- Work remotely and/or from home
- Accrued days off
- A range of leave options available
- Competitive Salary
- Superannuation salary-sacrifice
- Childcare salary-sacrifice
- Internal job opportunities and career progression
Learning and Development
- Organisation Induction
- Achievement and Development programs
- Systems training
- Leadership Programs
- Education Assistance Program
- Service and Achievement Awards
Health and Wellbeing
- My Wellbeing Program (a structured health and wellbeing education program for building our workplace health)
- Health and Wellbeing Initiatives including activities, sessions and resources
- Employee Assistance Program
- Kingston Active Membership Discount
- Kingston Corporate Active initiatives
- Employee Immunisations
- Access to the Local Government Employees Health Plan and Discount Health Cover
- Social club
Our Recruitment Process
All current vacancies, position descriptions and job applications are managed through our online Careers portal. If you identify a job opportunity you would like to apply for, simply click on the 'apply now' button at the bottom of the advertisment.
Our applicant experience includes an online application, behavioural based interview, referee checks and background checks. Due to the large number of applications our positions attract, the recruitment process could take up to 4 weeks.
We have made it easy to apply by providing an outline of the application process below and supplying candidate user guides for assistance with the Careers portal.
The City of Kingston adheres to the principle of equal employment opportunity and employment decisions. This means we only assess the skills, knowledge, abilities, work performance and personal qualities that are relevant to the position you have applied for.
Kingston values diversity and is committed to creating a workplace where all employees can be their true self every day. We are a child safe and an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from wide-ranging backgrounds, identities and experiences are encouraged to apply.
Our selection process incorporates a range of methods to accurately determine the best people for the position, and is comprised of the following stages:
Stage 1: Short Listing
After the closing date of the advertisement all applications are reviewed and if you meet the selection criteria for the role, you will be notified by phone or email if you have been shortlisted for the next round.
Stage 2: Initial Screening
Phone interviews may be conducted as part of the initial screening process.
Stage 3: Interviews
Interviews are conducted by an expert panel usually consisting of the recruiting manager, a team member, and a key stakeholder. You will be required to answer a variety of behavioural questions to assess your suitability to the position.
Stage 4: Employment Assessments
You will need to provide any qualifications or licences relevant to the role.
External applicants will be required to have two most current or relevant nominated referee checks. Internal applicants will be required to provide one referee check.
It is a requirement for all roles at the City of Kingston that all employees satisfactorily complete a:
- National Police Check (fit2work)
- Working with children check (if applicable)
- Eligibility to work in Australia check
The City of Kingston may also require candidates to satisfactorily complete pre-employment assessments. Depending on the position you apply for, this may include:
- Pre-employment medical assessment
- Functional capacity assessment
Stage 5: Offer of employment
A successful candidate will receive notification of their Letter of Offer. This can then be viewed via their candidate profile. All remaining documentation will be finalised through the candidate profile and sent to People Support.
Stage 6: Induction
The City of Kingston’s Organisation's Induction provides the perfect opportunity to learn about the Kingston area, the organisation's overall structure and hear about all of the Employee Benefits.
All unsuccessful candidates who were not shortlisted will be notified by email. We acknowledge the time taken to complete your application and thank you for your interest.
Eligibility and the right to work in Australia
Employment with the City of Kingston requires you to have Australian citizenship or to be a permanent resident of Australia or New Zealand or to have a valid visa that provides work rights.
- an Australian citizen: a birth certificate, citizenship certificate or current passport is proof of eligibility
- a permanent resident of Australia or New Zealand citizen who has entered Australia on a valid passport: you are allowed to stay and work in Australia without restriction
- a non-citizen with a valid visa that provides work rights: a current passport containing the visa is proof of eligibility. As the visa has an expiry date, non-citizens can only engage in casual, temporary or fixed term roles that do not extend beyond the expiry date. Visitors on a Working Holiday visa are permitted to work in temporary or casual roles, but for no longer than six months with any one employer.
Documents accepted as a proof of Right to Work:
- Full Australian Birth Certificate a form of photo ID
- Full Australian Birth Certificate a form of photo ID and evidence that at least one parent was an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the time of the child's birth
- Australian Citizenship Certificate
- Australian Passport
- New Zealand Passport
- New Zealand Birth Certificate and a form of photo ID
- Certificate of evidence of resident status
- Valid visa with work rights.
Documents that are not a proof of Right to Work:
- Tax File Number
- Driver's licence
- Medicare card
- Bank account
- Referrals from employment agencies
- References from previous employers.
We are committed to the protection of your privacy and your application will managed in the strictest confidence. By submitting your application, you agree that we may use your personal information for the purpose of processing your application only. If you are shortlisted for interview and we perform a reference check, third parties may be contacted to obtain more information about you.
Local Career Opportunities
The local government area of the City of Kingston is a melting pot of diverse local businesses – including a thriving manufacturing hub, bustling retail areas and plenty of corporate offices. With more than 65,000 jobs available, there are many opportunities to build your career.
Visit kingstonjobs.com.au to get started.