Dales Park is a significant community asset providing both active sporting and passive recreational elements, which was initially bequeathed to the former City of Moorabbin as a site for women’s sporting participation.
The 3.1ha Reserve comprises nine netball courts, a sporting pavilion, a playground, a dog off leash area and a sizeable open grassy area for informal use.
The Kingston and District Netball Association is based at the Reserve and provides a competition/training venue for 16 clubs, 183 teams and more than 1900 participants every week.
After extensive community consultation, the City of Kingston worked closely with Kingston and District Netball Association to upgrade Dales Park to boost the facilities for thousands of local netballers and residents as part of the long term Dales Park Development Plan.
Work completed includes improvement in four areas - community recreation infrastructure, sporting infrastructure, car parking and traffic management and landscaping and amenity.
- Re-alignment and resurfacing of the existing eight netball courts to a north-south orientation and re-sizing them to meet Netball Victoria standards.
- Installation of training floodlights on all courts to allow for training in the darker winter months.
- Five new spectator shelters at the netball courts.
- Providing approximately 140 formal, paved vehicle spaces in the park – in the southern section of the park and south-western section adjacent to Warrigal Road.
The construction of a new state-of-the-art Pavilion provided:
- Increased space and number of change rooms,
- Accessible toilet facilities
- Increased social room space
- Viewing deck
- Increased lobby and foyer areas
- Tournament office.
See a visualisation of the work in the video below
In a separate project, Council improved the playground and barbecue facilities at the park by providing
- A new bigger, better fenced-off playspace with play equipment for all ages
- A combination unit with slides, climbing wall, firefighter’s pole, net bridge, vee bridge, accessible shop counter and track glide
- A bird’s nest swing and standard swing set
- A climbing net structure with turn-over bar
- A double rocker and carousel spinner
- Nature play with a sand pit and a timber tepee cubby
- A double shelter with picnic tables and barbecue
- Park furniture including a drinking fountain, bike racks, bin & seats;
- Outdoor fitness-stations
- New path network around the dogs off-leash area connecting to nearby streets
- New garden beds and shade trees.
Washington Drive, Oakleigh South 3167 View Map