State Savings Bank, 1928. Image courtesy Mordialloc & District Historical Society
State Savings Bank Building
44 Florence Street, Mentone
This building was constructed in 1926 for the State Savings Bank, which occupied it for almost 50 years.
Like other banks of this era, the building adopts a Free-Classical approach. An elegant rendered façade adorns the two-storey building, with graceful rectangular columns rising from a simple, banded base. Elaborate cornice pieces create an unusual staggered effect at the roofline, while a hint of Art Deco influence can be traced in the patterning of the railings, balustrade and geometric motifs.
In 1974 the building was acquired by Mordialloc Council for the Citizen’s Advice Bureau and was later sold to Hodges Real Estate in 1995.