Combers Building, 1927. Image courtesy Mordialloc & District Historical Society
Corner Mentone Parade and Florence Street, Mentone
In 1908 a prominent local man, Mr H. Peterson, built a confectionary store and café on this site. Like many other stores in Mentone erected after the land-boom collapse, the small timber structure was a vast contrast to the lavish Coffee Palace building located opposite.
The existing two-storey redbrick building was constructed in 1925-6 by the Comber family. Comprising several shopfronts, each store is divided by decorative stucco columns and crowned by contrasting semicircular pediments.
This image, taken in 1927, features the prominent bay window overlooking the busy street corner. At the time it was S.J. Hendy’s – ‘Mentone’s Leading House for Books, Gramophones, Records, Wireless and Sporting Goods’.