Stormwater and drains

Stormwater is rainwater runoff from rooftops, paths and roads collected by a system of pipes and drains. These flow directly to creeks and the bay without being treated.

In some cases, it's filtered through traps, usually located at the end of the pipe system, but it still flows directly from streets and gutters into our rivers, the harbour and the ocean.

Everyone can help to protect our waterways by preventing soil, grass clippings, chemicals and litter from washing into streets and gutters.

If you see pollution going into stormwater drains, let us know by calling 1300 653 356.

Our water management page provides more information on integrated water management.


South East Water is responsible for operating and maintaining the sewerage system for the south-east region of Melbourne. For further information about sewerage including what to do if you have a blocked sewer or pipe visit South East Water: Learn about sewerage.

See our septics and greywater page for information about re-use.

Water mains

South East Water purchases water from Melbourne Water, who is responsible for harvesting, storing and treating water prior to its arrival in the South East Water system. For further information visit South East Water: Water sources.


Council is responsible for inspecting, maintaining and upgrading approximately 798km of stormwater drains and associated assets. Although Council does continuously monitor the performance of its stormwater systems, it relies on the community to report flooding incidents as they occur.


If you are concerned about flooding after heavy rain and stormwater is not draining away from the roads or from an easement on your property, you should report the location to our Customer Care team.

Report a drainage issue or flooding incident online, or contact Council on 1300 653 356.

You can also visit the Melbourne Water website to report an issue with major waterways and drainage systems.

Visit our flooding page for more information about flood management.

To find out if your property has a flood overlay visit Land Subject to Flooding.

Building and construction

Building, landscaping and industrial activities add to heavy pollutants found in stormwater systems. These pollutants affect our water quality, kill marine life and degrade our beaches.

If you manage a building, landscaping or construction site, you're responsible to protect stormwater from pollution through building, landscaping or related activities.

Visit Stormwater permit requirements.

Building over easements

An easement is a defined area of land that gives Council and other authorities access rights through your property.

If you intend to build over an easement, you must first obtain consent from all service authorities who have rights to use your easement and then obtain a building permit for the project.

For more information see Building over easements.


Groundwater is the water found underground in the cracks and spaces in soil, sand and rock. It is stored in and moves through geologic formations of soil, sand and rocks called aquifers. Southern Rural Water is responsible for groundwater. Council is not required to accept groundwater discharge to the stormwater system.

For more information refer to Kingston’s

Basements and Deep Building Construction Guidelines(PDF, 419KB)  and 

Basements and Deep Building Construction Policy(PDF, 391KB).

Dial Before You Dig

Dial Before You Dig is a free service designed to assist in preventing damage and disruption to infrastructure networks which provide essential services we use every day.