Move over St Valentine’s because 14 February is also Library Lovers’ Day!
Library Lovers’ Day is a chance for everyone to reconnect with the library and share the library love.
The initiative, coordinated by the Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA), aims to raise the profile of the services which libraries offer. Australia’s public libraries provide quality information services that support lifelong learning, significantly impacting the cultural and information needs of society.
To celebrate we asked our Library staff to recommend some of their favourite romantic books and DVDs....
A few facts about libraries in Australia:
- There is one public library service point for every 15 000 people and more than seven out of ten public libraries are open for more than 30 hours per week
- More than 171 million items were lent to 8.6 million members of Australia’s public libraries
- There were more than 112 million customer visits annually, or more than 9 million per month
- There are 203 university libraries, used by around one million staff and students every year
- There are more than 9,000 school libraries and some 12 million people visit our National, State and Territory libraries every year
- Behind the scenes, 2,000-plus special libraries provide services for business users, lawyers, health professionals, government officials and other information consumers.