Text Resize:

Mordialloc Historical Walking Trail : Stop 14

14-Mordialloc-00_L002225.jpg

Clock Tower. Image courtesy Mordialloc & District Historical Society

Dave White Memorial Clock Tower
Main Street, Mordialloc, between Bear Street and McDonald Street

The local community raised funds to build this special memorial to a highly respected former councilor. The clock tower was unveiled in December 1937, less than a year after Cr Dave White died.

Born in Ballarat, Cr White moved to what is now the Kingston area in 1896, first working as a hairdresser and tobacconist, and later becoming a real estate agent and auctioneer.

He was a Shire of Moorabbin councillor from 1908 to 1920 and served as Shire President three times. He was then a City of Mordialloc councilor from 1924 until 1937, and was twice elected Mayor.

Cr White was a keen bowls player, a dashing footballer, and heavily involved in the first and later Mordialloc Carnivals. His love of music was also obvious through his involvement as conductor of the local Choral Society and the Presbyterian Church Choir. He was a strong Presbyterian and the first layman to be elected leader of the Victorian Protestant Federation.

The clock tower, which was completely rebuilt in the 1990s, features decorative clinker brickwork graded from dark brown at the base to light cream at the top.

Video Tour

Image Gallery

14-Mordialloc-03_k001004.jpg

Main Street Mordialloc, looking towards creek. Dave White's hairdresser and tobacconist on left, c1910. Image courtesy Hazel Pierce, Kingston Collection

14-Mordialloc-02_K002648.jpg

Dave White, councillor and president of Shire of Moorabbin, 1912/13. Image courtesy Kingston Collection, City of Kingston

14-Mordialloc-05_k005388.jpg

Mordialloc Bowls Club, 1916. Image courtesy John Widdowson, Kingston Collection

14-Mordialloc-04_K001202.jpg

Dave White, councillor of Shire of Moorabbin and later Mayor of Mordialloc. Image courtesy Jean Martin, Kingston Collection

14-Mordialloc-01_L002225.jpg

Clock Tower. Image courtesy Mordialloc & District Historical Society