We understand that people like to learn how to use the Internet and other technologies in a friendly environment. We offer hands-on classes that give you the chance to ask questions. All classes are free.
While Kingston Libraries' in house library events and programs remain suspended until further notice, we do offer a range of online tutorials and resources to help you build skills and confidence with digital technologies.
Skip to ...
Online tutorials are available for you you to practice your computer skills at home or in the library at your own pace. Below are a selection of tutorials and resources to help you with anything from understanding the basics of computers and the Internet to learning how to create 3D models.
An Australian Government initiative, Be Connected provides access to a range of free self-paced tutorials to help you learn more about technology in your own time, at your own pace. Topics include:
- The absolute basics, such as what is a computer, laptop, tablet, smartphone, and the Internet;
- Getting to know your device and learning how to use a keyboard, mouse, touchscreen, and computer;
- Getting started online with the Internet, using online forms, email, search engines, and an introduction to Internet safety;
- Safety first and how to create safe passwords, make online payments safely, avoid scams and tricks, how to download and save documents, and where to get help and support;
- More online skills such as shopping online, connecting with friends using social networks, how to use a digital camera, as well as how watch TV and listen to music or the radio online;
- Connecting to others with video calls using Skype, WhatsApp, and Facetime.
Lynda.com is a leading online learning platform that helps anyone learn business, software, technology and creative skills to achieve personal and professional goals.
For more information and help getting started with Lynda.com, view the tutorial available on Kingston Libraries' Niche Academy by clicking on the "View Tutorial" link below.
For more detailed information on how to make the most out of Lynda.com, check out the How to use Lynda.com course produced by Lynda.com Staff!
GCFLearnFree.org is an online organisation that provides free educational content to help learners on a variety of topics. Below is a typing tutorial they offer to help you expand your keyboard skills.
- Typing Tutorial - Learn the absolute basics of touch typing and practice your skills.
Quick Reference Guides
Below is a collection of quick reference guides to help you get started with popular Microsoft Office software.
- Microsoft Office Quick Starts - Access quick start tutorials and downloadable guides created by Microsoft to help you with the latest versions of Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, and more;
- CustomGuide Quick References - Access downloadable quick reference cards for notes on previous versions Microsoft Office programs. After clicking on the link, simply scroll down the page to view the list of available guides.
For more detailed instruction on using Microsoft Office programs, access the Microsoft Office Training and Tutorials collection on Lynda.com for free through Kingston Libraries. Here you can find a vast range of courses for beginner to advanced learners, from essential training of individual programs to more advanced techniques.