Maternal & Child Health is considered an essential service and MCH nurses continue to offer short in person consultations with telehealth support under COVID safe conditions for all Key Ages and Stages and additional consultations as clinically appropriate during this COVID related lockdown.
The Maternal and Child Health service is staffed by Maternal and Child Health Nurses who are registered nurses with Midwifery and Maternal and Child Health qualifications. After the birth of your newborn the hospital notify us of the birth. We contact you to arrange a visit in your home to visit you and your new baby. All other developmental assessments will take place in your local Maternal and Child Health Centre.
Find a MCH centre near you
Our Maternal & Child Health Service offer families information, guidance and support on issues that include:
- Child health and development
- Maternal and family health
- Home and car safety for children
- Child accident and injury prevention
- Family planning
- Information on local support services
If you need additional support with breastfeeding, sleep, settling or parenting we can assist you through these services:
- Enhanced Home visiting
- Kingston breastfeeding support
- Supported Playgroups
- Feed and Chat Weekly drop-in sessions
What we will provide:
- When the hospital has notified us of the birth of your baby we will endeavour to contact you within 10 working days to arrange your home visit.
- We will provide child health and development assessments by appointment only from birth to 5 years of age as set out in your child health record book
- We are able to arrange additional appointments if you have any additional concerns.
- We offer all first time parents the opportunity to attend a new parent group that will provide education and access to future support networks.
What we will not provide:
- We are not a medical service
- We do not provide emergency services. Please call your local doctor or visit your local hospital if your child is unwell and in the case of an emergency call 000.