Creating inclusive and accessible communities for people with disability
MetroAccess - Building Inclusive Communities is funded by the Department of Health and Human Services and is a core feature of the Victorian State Disability Plan 2013-2016 which has as its vision a more inclusive Victoria where disability is not a barrier to participation.
The Community Building Program assists the community to include people with a disability and their families and carers by:
- helping people and organisations work together more effectively
- improving community understanding about the needs and aspirations of people with a disability
- developing and implementing responses to community priorities
- ensuring that the needs of people with a disability are the focus of community planning
- supporting service providers to assist people with a disability to live the sort of life they choose
- developing easy ways for people to access the information they need about services, community activities and consultation opportunities
For further information contact the Social Development Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1300 653 356.
What is MetroAccess? Two short video clips
Produced in 2012, a DVD was developed by the 10 MetroAccess Officers representing the Southern Metropolitan Region: Bayside City Council, Cardinia Shire Council, City of Casey, Frankston City Council, Glen Eira City Council, City of Greater Dandenong, Kingston City Council, Mornington Peninsula Shire Council, City of Port Phillip and City of Stonnington.
The DVD was designed to provide an insight into the MetroAccess role; the values which underpin the program together with the community development principles which inform the programs operational framework and contribute to its community building outcomes.
With a playing time of 16 minutes the DVD is divided into two complementary segments: 'What is MetroAccess?' and 'Projects', both of which are available on this page (below).
'What is MetroAccess?' provides an overview of the MetroAccess initiative and 'MetroAccess Projects' provides an insight into a number of projects that has been successfully developed as part of the MetroAccess initiative.
We hope you enjoy this 'snap shot' of MetroAccess in the Southern Metropolitan Region.