Skip to Main Content

Liquor Licence

Any person or organisation that intends to supply liquor in Victoria must apply for a licence through the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation.

Any application to the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation will be referred to the relevant Council for comment.

Upon receipt of a notification, Council's City Development will refer the application internally to Council's:

Health Department;

Property Services Department;

Social Planning; and

In some cases Sport & Recreation

Council has 30 days to respond to a notification from the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation, and advise whether there is objection or no objection to the application.

In some cases a Planning Permit may also be required for the sale and consumption of liquor.  This is to ensure that licensed premises are situated in appropriate locations, and to ensure that the impact of the licensed premises on the amenity of the surrounding area is considered.  If a Planning Permit is required the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation will be advised in Council's written response, noting that it is up to the applicant to apply for a Planning Permit when required.

Common types of liquor licences that require a Planning Permit include:-

Restaurant and / or Cafe;

On Premises Liquor Licence (The sale of liquor to people to consume on the premises, and to purchase to take away);

An increase in area that liquor is allowed to be consumed or supplied;

An increase in the number of patrons allowed to consume alcohol under an existing licence;

An increase in the hours of trading allowed under an existing licence.

For a full list of Planning Permit requirements and exemptions, please refer to Clause 52.27 (Licensed Premises) of the Kingston Planning Scheme.

It should be noted that a licensed premises application can be lodged in conjunction with another use and / or development (Eg. Licensed premises in association with a restaurant / cafe).  Please contact Council's Planning Department on 9581 4131 for further details on fees for this application type.




Was this page useful?

Please enter the code from the image to continue: *