Skip to Main Content

Land Subject to Flooding

Land subject to flooding is affected by the Special Building Overlay (SBO) or Land Subject to Inundation Overlay (LSIO)

Special Building Overlay

A Special Building Overlay (SBO) affects land liable to flood in a 1 in 100 year event due to overland flow paths from the urban stormwater drainage system.  Melbourne Water and Council have conducted comprehensive surveys of the urban drainage system within Kingston to indentify where the Special Building Overlay should be placed.

Overland flow paths are low ground sections of drainage system that can affect low lying and natural drainage path areas.  Overland drains flow when the maximum capacity of the underground piped drains is reached.

Land Subject to Inundation Overlay

Similar to the Special Building Overlay, a Land Subject to Inundation Overlay (LSIO) affects land in a 1 in 100 year event from an open watercourse or open drainage system.

What is the purpose of the flood overlay?

The purpose of the SBO and LSIO is to ensure that future developments allow the free passage of floodwaters, minimise flood damage, are compatible with flood hazard and local drainage conditions, and will not cause a significant rise in flood level or flow velocity.

How Do I know if my land is affected by a flood overlay?

There are several ways to determine if your land is affected by an SBO or LSIO including:

Obtain a planning certificate or planning property report at

View Kingston's Planning scheme maps at Planning Maps Online click on the "Local Council" drop down box and select Kingston;

Contact Council's City Development team on 9581 4131 for advice in relation to overlays affecting your site; or

Visit Council's City Development team located at Level 1, 1230 Nepean Highway Cheltenham between the hours of 8:30am and 5:30pm.

My land is affected by a flood overlay -  Do I need a Planning Permit?

If your land is affected by a flood overlay, it is likeley you will require a Planning Permit for buildings and works.  Permit requirements for land affected by a Special Building Overlay or Land Subject to Inundation Overlay can be found at:

Clause 44.04 of the Kingston Planning Scheme  (Land Subject to Innundation Overlay); and

Clause 44.05 of the Kingston Planning Scheme(Special Building Overlay)

Alternatively you can contact Council's City Development team to determine if a Planning Permit is required for your proposed works.


Was this page useful?

Please enter the code from the image to continue: *