We are excited to announce the inaugural Kingston Woman of the Year Award to celebrate the outstanding contribution that women in Kingston make to industry, community and society. Nominees of this award will be women who are leaders in their field, who inspire others and make a difference to our community through their exceptional professional or personal achievements.
Please see the criteria below and think about an inspirational woman in your life that you could nominate. Nominations close 15 December 2018. The Award will be presented at Kingston’s International Women’s Day ceremony hosted on 8 March 2019.
To be eligible for the Kingston Woman of the Year Award, nominated individuals must:
- Be a woman or individual who identifies as female;
- Be aged 16 years and above;
- Live, work or study within the City of Kingston; and
- Have made an outstanding contribution to our community whose achievements positively influence the changing social, environmental or business landscape and make them leaders (or emerging leaders) in their field.
Individuals cannot self-nominate but can be nominated under multiple categories if appropriate.
Any community member or community group/organisation can make a nomination.
In choosing the recipients of the Kingston Woman of the Year Award, nominees will be assessed according to the following assessment criteria:
- Significance and impact of contributions made;
- Demonstrated level of commitment to the betterment of the Kingston community;
- Degree of difficulty of the achievement and sacrifices made;
- Nature and length of activity or service;
- Future goals and likely impact on the Kingston community;
- Previous awards and recognition received;
- Demonstrated excellence in their field;
- Personal attributes of the nominee such as being an inspirational/positive role model for their peers, overcoming adversity, showing vision, leadership, innovation and creativity;
- Personal, academic and professional achievements; and/or
- Individuals must indicate whether their contribution was in the course of employment, voluntary or both.
There will be one Award winner who will demonstrate excellence and leadership in one or more of the following categories.
- Champion of Change: This category is for women who are making a difference to the health, wellbeing, safety and/or sustainability of our community through advocacy, campaigning, fundraising and/or thought-leadership.
- Excelling in Arts and Sport: This category is for women using their sporting and/or creative talents to represent, motivate and inspire our community.
- Inspiring Innovation: This category is for women who are leaders in Business, Economics, Politics and/or an Entrepreneur.
- Success in STEM: This category is for women who are excelling in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.
- Humanitarian: This category is for women dedicated to the betterment of humanity shown through their exceptional commitment to community work, social inclusion and justice issues, and/or strengthening social cohesion.
To submit a nomination, you can either:
- Complete the online form, OR
- Complete the PDF form and submit it online, by mail or in person (details can be found in the PDF form).
Nominations close 15 December 2018.
Once nominations have closed, the selection panel will consider all eligible entries against the assessment criteria and select a winner.
The selection panel consists of the Mayor and fellow Councillors of the City of Kingston.
All eligible nominations will be announced online.
The Award winner will be officially announced at Kingston’s International Women’s Day Event on Friday 8 March 2019.
Please call 1300 653 356 for more information.