Skip to Main Content

Permits & Regulations

Planning on starting up a business? Planning on expanding or changing your business? You may require permits and approvals to do so. It is important that you obtain all relevant permits for your business before starting or making changes.

We strongly encourage businesses to speak to Council to ensure permits and approvals are in place. Contact Council on 1300 653 356 or email

Below is some relevant information for businesses on Council permits

Food, Beauty (personal services) and Accommodation Businesses

Trader Parking Permits

Trader Parking Permit Schemes operate in the Chelsea, Cheltenham and Mordialloc shopping precincts, and provide business operators the opportunity to purchase a parking permit.

The Chelsea and Cheltenham trader parking permit scheme is fully allocated. Businesses in these centres can apply to be placed on a waiting list, however, we are unable to provide timelines of when permits become available. 

Terms and Conditions for the Cheltenham scheme can be found here.

Terms and Conditions for the Chelsea scheme can be found here .

 Waiting List Application Forms



Mordialloc Trader Parking Permit Scheme

Permits are currently available for this scheme.  Business operating in the Mordialloc Shopping Precinct can apply for a maximum of two (2) permits. To apply for permit/s, download this application form and return to the Business Directions team by email to

For further information about these Trading Parking Permit Schemes, please email or telephone Council's Customer Service on 1300 653 356 and ask for the Business Directions Team.

Use of Public Land

The City of Kingston has a Commercial Use of Council Land Policy to facilitate the use of public land for commercial activities on beaches, parks and other Council managed land such as busking, food trucks, personal training and markets.


Kingston invites performers to apply for a busking permit.

Food Trucks

Kingston currently has 10 dedicated sites for food trucks that it allocates via a tender process every three years. The next tender will be advertised in 2019.

If you are interested in operating in Kingston, please contact to register your interest.  We will also contact you if any new opportunities arise for food trucks in Kingston

Personal Training

Personal Training is currently permitted on Active Reserves. To submit an application, please click here

For all other locations, for example, beaches, please contact Property Services.


Do you want to start a market on Council Land? Please contact Property Services to discuss the approval process.


Do you want to conduct a commercial activity on or near the beach? Please contact Property Services to discuss the approval process.

Commercial Events / Marketing

Any enquiries relating to using Council land for a business purpose should be directed to Property Services, and these will be assessed and processed under the Commercial Use of Council Land Policy

Domestic Animal Business Permit

A Domestic Animal Business Permit is required from Council if you wish to conduct any of the following businesses within Kingston:

  • Pet Shop
  • Boarding establishment for cats or dogs
  • Breeding and rearing establishment for cats and dogs
  • Dog training establishment
  • Animal Shelter
New Permit Applications

As required under the Domestic Animals Act 1994, you will be required to obtain Domestic Animal Business permit prior to the commencement of your business. An inspection will be carried out by an Authorised Local Laws Officer, to ensure compliance with the legislation.

Alternatively, download and complete the application form and email it to

Permit renewal

Domestic Animal Business Permits are renewed on April 10 each year and an annual inspection will be completed prior to permits being reissued.