2019 Grant Application Process
Welcome to the Kingston Charitable Fund’s 2019 Grant Process.
The Kingston Charitable Fund (KCF) was launched in February 2007 as an initiative of Kingston City Council in partnership with the Lord Mayor’s Charitable Foundation.
The Fund is a separate legal entity from the City of Kingston. It aims to raise much-needed funds to help charitable organisations that support people living in Kingston.
It has given out more than $500,000 to local groups since its launch.
The Kingston Charitable Fund raises money from local business and philanthropic communities in the municipality, which is then invested and the annual income earned is distributed back to the community in the form of grants.
The Fund is a sub-fund of, and administered by, the Lord Mayor’s Charitable Foundation. The administration fee is equal to 1 per cent of the capital value of the Fund Account at the beginning of that Financial Year. The administration fee is charged against the income generated by the Fund in a Financial Year, prior to distribution.
Applications are now open for the KCF’s two funding streams:
Provided for activities and programs that meet community needs, make the community stronger and more connected, and complement Council’s activities in the community. Grants in this stream are usually up to $5,000 however, applicants are encouraged to apply for an amount appropriate to their activity.
Further details are available in the Grants Program Guidelines
Introduced in 2015 in response to requests from community groups to provide a larger investment for new programs and projects.Applications are invited for the one-off grant of up to $30,000 to fund an innovative new project, activity or initiative.
Further details including the assessment criteria are available in the Innovation Grant Guidelines
Frequently Asked Questions
When can I apply for a grant?
Applications open 9am, Monday 11 February for a four weeks. Applications must be received by 5pm Monday 11 March. No late applications will be accepted
Who is eligible?
Applications are invited from charities that help local Kingston residents and have Deductible Gift Recipient Item 1(DGR) and Tax Concession Charity status.
Who awards the grants?
All applications for funding from the Kingston Charitable Fund are considered by the Grants Assessment Panel. The Grants Assessment Panel consists of the Mayor; one other councillor; the Chief Executive Officer; a representative from the Lord Mayor's Charitable Foundation and two Council appointed community members.
When are successful grant applicants notified?
All applicants will be notified of the outcome on May. Grants are distributed to successful applicants at the Grant Giving Ceremony in late May.
The 2018 Kingston Charitable Fund grant recipients were:
- Abbeyfield Society Dingley Village Inc - $1,499 to purchase a stem cleaner for Abbeyfield House Dingley Village. The appliance will be used by staff for carpets, upholstery and general cleaning.
- Melbourne Anglican Benevolent Society Inc. - $5,000 to support the cost of food distributed to guests of Pantry 5000 and the provision of Christmas hampers to families in need.
- Make A Difference Dingley Village Inc - $7,000 to assist clients with the cost of utility bills according to the urgency of the situation.
- Springvale Benevolent Society Inc. - $2,000 to offer hampers and vouchers to disadvantaged residents during the Christmas period.
- Bonbeach Life Saving Club Inc. - $5,227 to purchase four new rescue boards for the Bonbeach Life Saving Club.
- Lighthouse Foundation - $2,500 to maintain and grow the Bonbeach House Community Committee through recruitment, education and training.
- Bayside Community Information And Support Service Inc. - $2,000 to produce and maintain 'Homeless packs' specifically for supporting this people identifying as homeless or at risk of homelessness.
- St Kilda Mums - $3,600 to support disadvantaged families in the City of Kingston with the purchase of prams, cot packages and car restraints.
- Mums Supporting Families In Need Inc - $3,600 to contribute towards the total cost of warehouse rental where donated items are received, sorted, cleaned, fixed, packed and despatched to families in need.
For further information regarding the Kingston Charitable Fund, please contact 9581 4729 or email Charitable.Fund@kingston.vic.gov.au