Mentone Life Saving Club facility and precinct redevelopment
Estimated Completion Date
Kingston Council has given the green light to an estimated $14.5 million redevelopment of the Mentone Life Saving Club facility and foreshore precinct, following extensive community consultation.
Thanks to a partnership between Kingston Council and the Victorian Government the existing club will be transformed into a state-of-the-art facility with a new roof top viewing deck, a registered ‘Changing Places’ facility and modernised toilet and change facilities.
The Mentone Life Saving Club has served the community for over 100 years. Replacing the current aged building will ensure the club can continue to provide this vital community service to the tens of thousands of visitors who visit Mentone beach each summer.
- The redevelopment of the foreshore precinct will see improved vehicle access to the lower promenade for MLSC operations and emergency vehicles, a renewal of the existing car park and significant landscaping improvements.
- There will also be a separate pedestrian ramp to ensure everyone has access to the Mentone foreshore, plus major stormwater improvements to keep our bay clean.
- The building will also incorporate sustainability features such as rain water tanks, solar panels, efficient glazing and water efficient fittings.
- Landscaping improvements across the site will complete the initial stage of works.
- The proposed Stage 2 of the project will include further landscaping works, a new BBQ area and children’s playground. Plans for this stage of work will be out for public consultation in the coming months.
Upcoming construction works
- Council has appointed a builder to complete the redevelopment, with demolition and construction works set to begin in late June 2021. Construction will take approximately 18 months to complete.
- Signs will advise of any changes to beach access as the works progress. These signs will advise of where the foreshore can be accessed safely by the public.
- Temporary fencing and signage will be installed during works for the safety of the community.
- Beach access will be maintained wherever possible during construction.
- The car park behind the Mentone Life Saving Club will be fenced off during construction and will not be available for use.
Toilet and change room facilities
- Temporary toilets will be installed while the works are underway on the beach side of Beach Road at the eastern end of Naples Road. Signs will direct the public to these facilities.
- Increased traffic on Beach Road is expected during key stages of the works. Traffic management will be onsite to safely direct traffic during these periods.
- Construction works will not impact summer beach patrols by Mentone Life Saving Club.
Stay up to date
Join our mailing list to be kept in the loop with project updates!
Watch the flythrough videos below to see the plans:
Beach Road, Opposite Kitchener St, Mentone 3193 View Map
City of Kingston
1300 653 356