Skip to Main Content

Rooming Houses & Prescribed Accommodation

Under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 and Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2009 the following businesses must register with Council:

  • Residential accommodation
  • Rooming Houses
  • Hotels
  • Hostels
  • Motels
  • Student dormitories
  • Holiday camps
  • Bed and Breakfast
  • Guest House

Preparing Your Application

Before preparing your accommodation business application please review the information below to assist you in complying with relevant requirements.

Bed and Breakfast, Hotels, Motels, Guesthouses, Self-contained Accommodation: Prior to lodging your application please review the Business Victoria website for helpful information on how to start your accommodation business.

Rooming Houses: Prior to lodging your rooming house application with Council please visit the Consumer Affairs Victoria website in regards to the minimum requirements set out in the Residential Tenancies Standards. All rooming house operators must obtain a license from Consumer Affairs Victoria, prior to submitting a new business application with Council. Find out more on how to obtain a license.

Caravan Parks: Prior to lodging your caravan park application with Council please review the Consumer Affairs Victoria Caravan parks - A guide for residents, owners and mangers.

Submitting Your Application

Your application must be accompanied a floor plan showing:

  • All bedrooms, including size of rooms and proposed number of occupants.
  • Kitchen, laundry, bathrooms and toilets.
  • All common areas i.e. lounge room, dining room, study, outdoor areas.
  • Description of finishes to all internal surfaces i.e. walls, floor and ceiling finishes.
  • Relevant lighting and ventilation (in particular mechanical/natural ventilation for bathrooms and kitchen).
  • Fire safety equipment available.

Should your accommodation business be providing food you may require a Food Act registration. Find out more on Opening a New Food Business

Similarly, if your accommodation business will be providing any hair or beauty services you may require a Public Health and Wellbeing Act registration. Find out more on Opening a New Health, Beauty or Skin Penetration Business.

Alternatively, download the prescribed accommodation application form and apply in person at one of Council's Customer Care Centres.

After Submitting Your Application (Siting)

Once your accommodation application has been received by Environmental Health, an Environmental Health Officer will make contact with you up to 14 days from when your application is received.

Your application will be assessed for compliance with relevant legislation, and a plans approval letter will be sent (emailed/mailed).

Once the plans approval letter has been provided, an Officer will make contact with you requesting a time to complete a site inspection. A site visit can be conducted at any point during construction, however a final inspection must be conducted prior to opening your business.

Once this visit is conducted, all relevant fees must be paid (as advised by your Officer) and a Certificate of Registration will be granted.


If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact the Environmental Health team on 9581 4743 or