Skip to Main Content

Have an idea?

Before you start a business, you need to consider all aspects of running a business, including financial and personal. It is important to conduct research and understand the requirements before starting to ensure you are well equipped with the right knowledge and tools available to run a successful business.

There are many resources available to those looking to start a business however, finding the right information can be a challenging experience. 

To assist with this, we have collated a series of information and links that may be useful when starting your business.

Kingston's economic profile

The City of Kingston’s economic profile provides detailed information about the local economy including workforce and industries.

Useful resources for starting a business

Steps to starting a business

View our step-by-step guide on what is required to start a business.


Business Start-Up Clinic

Kingston offers a service if you are right at the start of your business planning!

A monthly Start-Up Clinic provides individuals who are starting a business in the Kingston or Glen Eira municipalities, the opportunity to discuss their business venture with a panel of experienced business mentors, to help assess the idea.

After submitting an Application Form, your proposal will be reviewed and if it meets the “start-up” criteria, you will be invited to attend a one-hour session with a small group of our business mentors. This will hopefully provide you with greater clarity regarding the viability of your venture, or the actions you need to take to assess the viability and/or maximise your chance of success.

If you are interested in applying for the Clinic, please call Business Directions on 9581 4787, or complete this application form and forward to

Things to consider

Home-Based Business

Are you planning to run a business from home? Read more on Home Occupation.


Food Businesses


Health and Beauty Businesses

Are you planning to start a new health and beauty business or purchase an existing one? Read more.


Changing the use of your building

Are you starting a different type of business in an existing building? There are rules and regulations that set out how land and buildings can be used. You may require a planning permit to change the use. For example, changing a bookstore into a café. Read more about the planning process.

Planning Zones

Help me Plan allows you to input an address into the system and will provide information on the zoning of the area. This is an important consideration when choosing a location for your business.

Business Navigator tool

Use this tool to determine what permits you may need.

Frequently asked questions

What is footpath trading?

Footpath Trading allows private businesses to trade on the City’s footpaths, enabling those enterprises to profit from the use of public land.  A permit is required for all trading on public footpaths and includes the placing of:

  • Tables and chairs
  • Portable wind barriers
  • Permanent Glass Screens
  • Umbrellas
  • Transparent drop-down blinds
  • Heaters
  • A-Frame signs
  • Tear drop banners and flags
  • Display of goods

What is a food business?

A Food business includes:

  • anything that people eat or drink
  • live, raw, prepared or partly prepared food
  • live animals and plants
  • ingredients of a food, including additives to a food
  • drinks, including water, alcohol, milk, tea, coffee, fruit juice and soft drinks
  • chewing gum, including ingredients and additives.

What is a health related service?

A health related service may include the following:

  • beauty – waxing, laser treatment, dry needling etc.
  • hairdressing
  • skin penetration – eg. tattooing, cosmetic tattooing

What is a rooming house or prescribed accommodation?

All prescribed accommodation premises and Rooming Houses must be registered with the Council and includes:

  • Rooming Houses
  • Hotels
  • Hostels
  • Student dormitories
  • Holiday camps
  • Bed and Breakfast
  • Guest House

What is an animal related business?

Animal related businesses include:

  • pet shops
  • dog or cat breeding
  • dog training establishment
  • animal shelter
  • dog or cat boarding

If you are proposing to start such a business, you may need to apply for a Domestic Animal Business permit from Council.

What is Streatrader?

Streatrader is the online system for businesses and community groups to register and notify their temporary and mobile food premises with their registering council.