Business and COVID-19
On 14 September 2020, the Victorian State Government announced a $3 billion commitment to help businesses impacted by ongoing COVID-19 restrictions and prepare for COVID Normal business.
The third round of the Business Support Fund will provide up to $20,000 for business with a payroll of up to $10 million. Grant applications open on Friday 18 September 2020.
- Licensed Hospitality Business: Grants of up to $30,000 for licensed pubs, clubs, hotels, bars, restaurants and reception centres, based on their venue capacity and location.
- Business Chambers and Trader Groups: A competitive grants program to support metropolitan and regional business chambers and trader groups.
- Sole Trader Support Fund: Grants of up to $3,000 to over 30,000 eligible sole traders who operate from a commercial premises or location to which the sole operator is the tenant or licensee.
Business Survival and Adaptation Package
The package provides additional funding, tools and resources to help businesses adapt and prepare for reopening under COVID normal settings:
- A voucher program to assist sole traders and small businesses in building their digital capability.
- Expansion to the ‘Click for Vic’ campaign to encourage more Victorians to support local businesses.
- Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package to support hospitality businesses prepare for COVID Normal reopening across Victoria.
Business Victoria has all the latest information regarding restriction levels, along with a coronavirus (COVID-19) hotline 13 22 15. See other useful resources listed below:
Kingston Council is focussing on practical ways to help local traders expand their outdoor dining options and still ensure they are COVID-safe.
We are proactively talking with traders across the municipality to get a better sense of their preferences to enable outdoor dining and are already hearing from businesses about what they think would work in their local area and are starting to work with them to progress their ideas.
Some of the options being considered are:
- Helping existing footpath trading permit holders to expand their permits into adjacent footpath areas where appropriate
- Using well established events protocols, to establish a streamlined process for businesses who wish to temporarily occupy Council land including parks, car parking spaces and road/lane closures
- Identifying opportunities for Council-led activation of places to offer whole-of-centre support to be rolled out over the next 6 months
Waivers and deferrals
The Government is providing tax and cashflow support:
- Deferral of payroll tax for businesses with payrolls up to $10 million for the full 2020-21 financial year
- Deferral of the planned increase in the landfill levy for six months
- Liquor license fee waivers for 2021
For more detail visit Business Victoria.
COVIDSafe principles for business
If permitted to do so, business and industry must operate in Victoria based on the following COVIDSafe principles:
- ensure physical distancing (1.5 metres)
- wear a mask or face covering
- practice good hygiene
- keep good records and act quickly if staff become unwell
- avoid interactions in close spaces
- create workforce bubbles.
Contactless thermometers for Kingston businesses
In light of the current coronavirus (COVID-19) environment, the Victorian Government has provided Council with a limited supply of thermometers for local businesses.
These thermometers are a further preventative measures you can take on your business site.
These have been made available free of charge to eligible Victorian businesses which meet the following criteria:
- Have a registered Victorian premise (regardless of location within Victoria)
- Business is still operating with staff physically onsite
- Employ at least 5 staff members who work concurrently at the same premise
- Business has not been able to procure a contactless thermometer from suppliers
There is a strict limitation of 1 thermometer per business site per 20 employees. An additional thermometer is permitted for each additional 20 employees (i.e. If your business employs more than 20 people, you are eligible to receive an additional thermometer).
If your business has multiple premises, you can request a thermometer for each premises.
If your business requires a thermometer, please contact Kingston’s Business Directions team by submitting this online form.
If you are eligible, we will organise pick up or delivery of the thermometer/s to your business.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1300 653 356.
City of Kingston COVID-19 community and business support package
Kingston Council has announced a $2.8 million assistance package for the community and businesses to help alleviate the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The package is designed to offer support to local businesses, community groups and vulnerable residents. The business components of the support package includes:
- Rate payments deferred until 30 June 2021 for business who apply under Council’s Hardship Policy. Apply online or download printable form.
- Refund of current Health and Food Premises registrations
- Refund of current Footpath Trading fees
- Commercial rents of Council buildings waived for 3 months (up to 6 months if State of Emergency remains in place).
- Family Day Care Educators Fee waived for 3 months (up to 6 months if State of Emergency remains in place).
All enquiries on this package can be directed to email@example.com or please call 1300 653 356.
Kingston online business directory
Kingston Council has created an online business directory to help promote businesses to the local community to encourage support in these unprecedented times.
If you are a local business that's still operating in some way, in-line with government regulations, please fill out this form.
You can also contact the Business Directions team via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Victorian Small Business Commission Services
The Victorian Small Business Commission Services (VSBCS) offer low-cost dispute resolution services, including mediation, and champion the rights of small businesses.
If you're dealing with issues during COVID-19 and responding to difficulty in paying rent, VSBCS can assist.
Business Mentoring Available
Has your business been impacted by COVID-19? If you are in need of some advice, emergency mentoring is available. This is a free, confidential service from experienced business mentors to provide a 'sounding board' for local business owners.
Step 1: Fill in and submit the online application form
Step 2: The mentor coordinator will be in touch to arrange an emergency online mentoring session
Step 3: Follow up mentoring is available if required