Business and COVID-19
Safely reopening in Kingston
COVIDSafe Summer — new restrictions apply from 5pm Thursday 31 December 2020.
Kingston Council is focussing on practical ways to help local traders expand their outdoor dining options and still ensure they are COVID-safe.
In line with the latest announcement to ease restrictions in Melbourne, hospitality as reopened for predominantly outdoor seated service.
Kingston businesses have five options to establish outdoor dining areas for the temporary service of food and drinks outdoors:
- Footpath Trading
- Expanded Footpath Trading
- Adjacent Kerbside Carpark Trading (Parklet)
- Outdoor Dining Pop Ups
- Expanded Outdoor Dining on Private Land
Visit Outdoor Dining for more information on how to prepare your application.
COVIDSafe information and resources
If permitted to do so, business and industry must operate in Victoria based on the following COVIDSafe principles:
- ensure physical distancing (1.5 metres)
- wear a mask or face covering
- practice good hygiene
- keep good records and act quickly if staff become unwell
- avoid interactions in close spaces
- create workforce bubbles.
Business support resources
Support for businesses
The Victorian Government is investing $3 billion to help businesses impacted by ongoing restrictions and prepare for COVID Normal business. Visit Business Victoria for details.
Business Victoria also has all the latest information regarding restriction levels, along with a coronavirus (COVID-19) hotline 13 22 15. See other useful resources listed below:
City of Kingston COVID-19 community and business support package
Kingston Council has announced a $2.8 million assistance package for the community and businesses to help alleviate the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The package is designed to offer support to local businesses, community groups and vulnerable residents. The business components of the support package includes:
- Rate payments deferred until 30 June 2021 for business who apply under Council’s Hardship Policy. Apply online or download printable form.
- Refund of current Health and Food Premises registrations
- Refund of current Footpath Trading fees
- Commercial rents of Council buildings waived for 3 months (up to 6 months if State of Emergency remains in place).
- Family Day Care Educators Fee waived for 3 months (up to 6 months if State of Emergency remains in place).
All enquiries on this package can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or please call 1300 653 356.
Waivers and deferrals
The Government is providing tax and cashflow support:
- Deferral of payroll tax for businesses with payrolls up to $10 million for the full 2020-21 financial year
- Deferral of the planned increase in the landfill levy for six months
- Liquor license fee waivers for 2021
For more detail visit Business Victoria.
Kingston online business directory
Kingston Council has created an online business directory to help promote businesses to the local community to encourage support in these unprecedented times.
If you are a local business that's still operating in some way, in-line with government regulations, please fill out this form.
You can also contact the Business Directions team via email@example.com.
Victorian Small Business Commission Services
The Victorian Small Business Commission Services (VSBCS) offer low-cost dispute resolution services, including mediation, and champion the rights of small businesses.
If you're dealing with issues during COVID-19 and responding to difficulty in paying rent, VSBCS can assist.
Business Mentoring Available
Has your business been impacted by COVID-19? If you are in need of some advice, emergency mentoring is available. This is a free, confidential service from experienced business mentors to provide a 'sounding board' for local business owners.
Step 1: Fill in and submit the online application form
Step 2: The mentor coordinator will be in touch to arrange an emergency online mentoring session
Step 3: Follow up mentoring is available if required