Skip to Main Content

Council Elections

General elections are held every four years and local councillors make decisions on a range of issues, including:

  • maternal health and child care
  • sporting and recreation facilities
  • libraries and community centres
  • animal registrations
  • rubbish and recycling
  • planning and building regulations
  • local roads and footpaths.
Council Wards

The City of Kingston is divided into three wards; Central, North and South Wards.

Central Ward includes Cheltenham, Mentone, Parkdale, Moorabbin Airport, Mordialloc and Braeside.

North Ward includes Highett, Moorabbin, Oakleigh South, Clayton South, Clarinda, Heatherton and Dingley Village.

South Ward includes Aspendale, Waterways, Chelsea, Chelsea Heights, Bonbeach, Carrum and Patterson Lakes.

This ward structure came into effect at the November 2008 election as a result of an electoral representation review conducted in 2007.  Further information about the profile of the City of Kingston can be found at


Voting in council elections is compulsory for all residents aged under 70 who are listed on the voters' roll. Residents on the voters' roll who do not vote may be fined if they do not have an acceptable reason.

Resident Voters

Everyone who has enrolled to vote in State and Federal elections is automatically enrolled to vote in Council elections. This typically applies to Australian citizens aged 18 and over who have lived at their current address for at least one month. Voting is compulsory for this category of voter.

Non-resident Owners

Owners of property who are listed on Council’s rate records as not living at their property will automatically be included on the voters’ roll, however only two owners can be enrolled per property.

Other Owners

Those who don’t fit in to either of the above categories, i.e. are not Australian citizens, but own a property in the City of Kingston and are aged 18 and over, can apply to be enrolled on the voters’ roll. Up to two owners per property may apply.


Up to two owners of a property may apply to be enrolled in place of the owners if they pay the rates and with the agreement of the owners, unless the Council rate notice is addressed directly to the occupiers.  Council encourages occupiers of shops and commercial and industrial properties to be enrolled and vote (provided the above applies).

Corporation Nominees

A corporation owning or occupying a property in the City and which pays the rates, may appoint either a director or company secretary to represent it on the voters’ roll. The person it appoints cannot be otherwise eligible to vote in the municipality.