Skip to Main Content

Commercial Use of Council Land Policy

COVID-19 Update

It is the responsibility of the event organiser to ensure attendees at any event abide by the current Victorian Government directions.


Kingston is committed to the principle that public land is for the benefit of the community. We recognise that some commercial activities are best suited on public land, however any use of public land should minimise disruption to the everyday user. Where these uses have a community benefit, Council may consider granting approval.

Holding a Commercial Event on Council land

Applications should be submitted to Council at least 20 business days in advance of the planned event. Large events and those involving the set-up of significant infrastructure may require additional processing time. If you are planning to hold an event sooner than this please call the Events team to discuss on 9581 4916.

To submit an application, you will be required to provide:

  • detailed site map outlining where you plan to hold your event and place temporary infrastructure ie, marquees, activities, jumping castles, bins, chairs etc. Should you require an editable map of the area please contact
  • Public liability insurance to cover your event
  • An authority to fundraise letter from your nominated charity if you are donating proceeds from your event
  • A risk management plan if your event is medium to large scale
  • A traffic management plan if you are planning a large event, closing a car park or car spaces or parking toilets or food vendors in a public car park

Applications for Commercial Use of Public Land can be made online via the Commercial Event Notification form.


Events produced by a commercial entity or for commercial gain it will incur a Commercial Use of Land Fee. Fees are charge per day including set up and pack down at the following rates (inc GST):

  • Primary sites - $1160
  • Secondary sites - $580


Council’s Commercial Use of Land Policy was adopted in 2018 to provide a framework for Council's consideration of proposals for commercial activities on beaches, parks and other Council-owned or controlled land, and to provide for the appropriate regulation of these activities.

Council's aim is balance the promotion of innovation, business and the entrepreneurial spirit of our community, with ensuring that requests received for use of land are appropriate. 

This policy does not apply to Council-owned or controlled buildings, as Council has a Leasing Policy that applies to building, and does not apply to Council-organised events. Nothing in this policy - or permits or licences issued under it - shall contravene any planning instrument, common law or Council’s local laws.

Public Events Framework

While restrictions remain in place for metropolitan Melbourne in response to the COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic, Commercial Events open to the public will be subject to the Victorian Government Public Events Framework. The Framework defines a public event and sets specific directions under a Tiered system determined by expected daily attendance.

It is the responsibility of the event organiser to abide by the directions of the Public Events Framework including obtaining State Government approval to proceed with events classified as Tier 1 or 2. 

Enquiries relating to the Commercial Use of Council Land should be directed to the Property Services Department at