OptiKA: Kingston Photographic Award Now Open!
12 June 2019
Entries are now open for Kingston Arts’ popular photographic Award, OptiKA. Formally known as Lens Mist, OptiKA, invites Photographers and Video Makers to capture images of Kingston that respond to a different creative theme every year.
In its’ eleventh year, the challenge is to depict the theme: Time.
All submissions go in the running to win over $6,000 worth of prizes including:
- the Best Photography Award: $4,000 sponsored by DFO Moorabbin
- the People's Choice Award: $1,000 sponsored by DFO Moorabbin
- the Portrait Award: $1,000 sponsored by City of Kingston, and
- the Video Award: $500 sponsored by the City of Kingston.
All entries will be exhibited at G3, Shirly Burke Theatre in Parkdale from 5 December 2019–4 January 2020; and DFO Moorabbin in early 2020.
Entries close Tuesday 15 October. Entry is $25 or $15 for those under 18 years.
‘Walk and Shoot’ Workshops
This year, photographers who are looking to build their technical expertise can also attend a series of exciting professional development workshops with professional photographer and industry expert, Peter Merriner. These ‘Walk and Shoot’ tours will be based in various locations across Kingston and are an opportunity for photographers of all skill levels to connect with each other, exchange creative ideas and to tease out this year's evocative theme.
Workshop dates and locations are as follows:
- 13 July, 10am-12 noon, Mordialloc Creek, Pier and Foreshore area, Mordialloc,
- 11 August, 10am-12 noon, Bicentennial Park, Chelsea
- 7 September, 10am-12 noon, Moorabbin Train Station and Shopping Centre Precinct, Moorabbin.
Please note that the location of each workshop is weather dependent, and all participants must be over 16 years of age. Workshop tickets are $15 each or $10 concession.
For full details about the OptiKA Award, please visit kingstonarts.com.au or ph. 9556 4440.