Works are set to begin on a fantastic new $2.9 million public piazza after Kingston Council unveiled the designs and appointed a builder to deliver the project at the Ordinary Council Meeting on Monday 24 September.
Kingston Mayor Steve Staikos said that the piazza would help boost the shopping precinct, create a new community meeting space and showcase the historic Kilbreda Tower.
“This design sets out a bold new plan for Mentone that will celebrate the area’s historic village atmosphere, create a new town piazza, improve safety and revitalise the retail precinct,” Cr Staikos said.
“We’ve been working closely with local traders to create an inviting space that improves links in the centre.”
The piazza forms part of the Mentone Renaissance Project which is being rolled out in stages to improve the Mentone shopping precinct. Projects already completed include:
- new traffic lights at the intersection of Davies Street and Balcombe Road
- a new roundabout at the intersection of Davies and Florence streets.
Cr Staikos thanked the community for their patience as construction of the piazza had been postponed due to delays at the neighbouring private development of the historic ‘triangle’ building.
“Works at the private ‘triangle’ site are now almost complete and Council is ready to kick start construction on the piazza in the next few months.”
More than 12,000 people live in Mentone and many more will call it home in coming years. Mentone also has one of the highest concentrations of schools anywhere in Melbourne, with around 6,000 students attending seven schools located within a 1.75km radius.
For further information on the project see kingston.vic.gov.au/mentone