COVID-19 community and business support package unveiled
1 April 2020
Kingston Council has announced a $2.8 million assistance package for the community and businesses to help alleviate the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Kingston Mayor Georgina Oxley said Council wanted to support local businesses, community groups and vulnerable residents during these unprecedented times.
“There are many people and businesses in our community doing it really tough right now and it is important that Council finds a way to help reduce that financial pressure,” said Cr Oxley.
“For those in our community struggling to pay their rates, we will defer payments to 30 June 2021 under our Hardship Policy,” Cr Oxley said. “We will also be waiving childcare fees (conditions apply), handing back food business registration fees and footpath trading fees plus halting community and sports clubs rents for 12 months. Many local businesses and families have been severely impacted by this crisis, hopefully this assistance package can make a positive difference.”
The business and community support package includes:
- Rate payments deferred until 30 June 2021 for residents who apply under Council’s Hardship Policy
- Any interest from unpaid rates (2019/20) will be waived. Interest will not be added until after 30 June 2021
- Childcare fees waived at Council’s childcare services (conditions apply)
- Animal Registration fee due date extended until 30 June 2020
- Rate payments deferred until 30 June 2021 for businesses who apply under Council’s Hardship Policy
- Refund of current Health and Food Premises registrations
- Refund of current Footpath Trading fees
- Commercial rents of Council buildings waived for 3 months (up to 6 months if State of Emergency remains in place)
- Family Day Care Educators Fee waived for 3 months (up to 6 months if State of Emergency remains in place)
For sporting/Community Groups:
- No rents for Community Groups/Sporting Clubs for 12 months
- No Winter season rents for Sporting Clubs
For more information about the community and business support package visit kingston.vic.gov.au/support-package.