Old Bakery Building, 2003. Image courtesy Heritage Study, City of Kingston
Old Bakery Building
Granary Lane (Rear of Mentone Dry Cleaners), Mentone
HAHN’S BAKERY & POST OFFICE
This understated building once housed ovens for a bakery on Florence Street. It was among several structures which were essential to the local baking industry located on Granary Lane, including a round store-house for grain and stables for delivery horses and carts.
From 1928 the bakery was operated by A.E. Hahn who provided the community with bread throughout the lean years of the Depression and rations during the War.
Constructed of solid redbrick, this rustic building retains some of its original rough timberwork.