Text Resize:

Mentone Historical Walking Trail : Stop 10

10-Mentone-Abbot-Buildingsb-00

Abbott & Sons, 1918. Image courtesy Mordialloc & District Historical Society

Abbott Buildings
133 Mentone Parade, Corner Mentone Parade and Florence Street, Mentone

When others were suffering from the depression of the land boom collapse in the 1890s, Scottish printer John Harkins was purchasing significant properties in Mentone. Among them were three retail outlets on the corner of Mentone Parade and Florence Street – the ‘Mentone Emporium’, Teahouse & Bakery and a general store.

In 1904 the shops were sold to Abbott and Mason. Abbott eventually built the brick shopfront which is visible today, operating a successful grocery firm until the 1930s.

It was during this time that the prominent corner is remembered as being the site of political debates, where election candidates would make campaign speeches from their soapboxes.

Video Tour

Image Gallery

10-Mentone-Abbot-Emporium-tearoom-grocery-03

Corner Mentone Parade and Florence Street - M A Harkins, Newsagent, General Store and Produce Merchant, Mentone Tea Rooms and Bakery, Mentone Emporium, c1895. Courtesy Jean Steward

10-Mentone-Tovey-and-Harkins-w-relatives-04

James Tovey and John Harkins of Warrigal Road, Mentone, with relatives, 1910. Courtesy Mordialloc & District Historical Society

10-Mentone-Abbot-Buildingsb-01

Abbott & Sons, 1918. Image courtesy Mordialloc & District Historical Society

10-Mentone-Abbot-and-Son-02_M001918

Mentone the Abbotts Building, c1930. Image courtesy Mordialloc & District Historical Society