Starting a Business
Steps to Starting a Business
View our step-by-step guide on what is required to start a business.
Are you planning to run a business from home? Read more on Home Occupation here.
Are you planning to start a new food business or purchase an existing one? Read more here
Changing the use of your building
Are you starting a different type of business in an existing building? There are rules and regulations that set out how land and buildings can be used. You may require a planning permit to change the use. For example, changing a bookstore into a café. Read more here
- Business Victoria is a comprehensive online resource designed to help you start, run and grow your business.
- Federal Government Support Essential business topics to help you start, run and grow your business.
- Access to State and Federal government grants.
- Find an experienced mentor to help your business succeed.
- Australian Business Licence and Information Service helps find the government licences, permits, approvals, registrations, codes of practice, standards and guidelines you need to know about to meet your compliance responsibilities.
- Australian Taxation Office administers legislation for taxes and excise (other than customs duty) and works with other government departments on policy matters relating to taxation and excise.
- Consumer Affairs Victoria manages the rights and responsibilities of consumers and traders, registers or licences businesses, develops codes of practice for industry, resolves disputes with traders or consumers, and prosecutes a trader where there is evidence of a breach of the law.